Sign in to follow this  
French

Wrinkled HTV after first test wash

Hi everyone,

I am new to T-shirt making and to this forum. I just bought some HTV from a british company called GMcrafts:

https://www.gmcrafts.co.uk/product-category/craft-supplies/rolls/heat-transfer-film/premium/300mm-heat-transfer-fabric-vinyl/

I did a test on a Gildan softstyle (very thin and light which I don't like), respected the instructions (160°C for 15 seconds), waited 48 hours and washed it at fairly low temperature. The design came out very wrinkled. I'm wondering if the vinyl could be the cause. On the gament it feels very plastiky and stiff, quite thick, papery etc... It's my first time working with HTV so I don't know how some siser, for instance would feel. I made a little sample video with a random design (not the one I washed) to try to show how it feels:

Could anybody comment on that or give me any advice?

Thank you!

That looks about normal for regular HTV. If you use a stretchy version like US Cutters Easyweed Stretch it will help with the wrinkles. Easyweed is also a little thinner than some other brands and has a better hand. (feel) 

• Like 1

HTV = Heat Transfer Vinyl  - like goose said that is about normal - some brands thicker some thinner - not sure about the UK brands as have never used them but it is vinyl

Thank you very much for answering. I'll try the siser then.

I just come back from a mall and I was checking shirts and I saw that very nice, soft, gummy like material, very flexible. It feels almost like silicon or something like that. For instance that dragon ball shirt was made with this thing. Do you know what this is?

IMG_0636.jpg

2 hours ago, French said:

Thank you very much for answering. I'll try the siser then.

I just come back from a mall and I was checking shirts and I saw that very nice, soft, gummy like material, very flexible. It feels almost like silicon or something like that. For instance that dragon ball shirt was made with this thing. Do you know what this is?

IMG_0636.jpg

plastisol

Now that I looked up plastisol's I know it was. It was too thick and gummy to be only ink.