sjdvn2

Distressed Flag for Vista Roof

Im pretty new to all this, but this was a pretty cool project I got to try out for someone.

I made a flag on AI (New to that as well), distressed it and divided it into two sections, one for each pane of glass.

It was cut out of 751 Matte Black. Vinyl was super easy to weed, but my real problem was with my medium tack xfer tape. It took 3 prints and a lot of swearing to get it right and there are a couple spots im a little unhappy about, but no one knows but me!

For the one I'm going to put on for my client, I think im going to try a high tack tape, then wet apply it and wet down the tape before removal to hopefully loosen the adhesive a little.

I have a few other people interested in having these mailed out, so I'm trying to come up with the best way to ship them out. Im thinking in a rolled/triangle mailer with instructions, a small bottle of rapid tac and a squeegee. Perhaps I'll sell the install equipment as an orginal upgrade?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

20190427_174915.jpg

20190427_174750.jpg

20190427_102702.jpg

• Like 3

You just let the secret out!!!!! I sell various style of flags for Jeep's, trucks/SUV panaramic roof, rear center windows, rear side windows, etc. I ship in a box that 22x6x6 USPS First Class for anything under 15.99 oz and priority triangle box over 1 lb. I try to keep it less than 22" length to fit the box and send First Class but if it's over that I also have 30" box which will always be ship priority. 

• Like 1

good looking design! can I ask why it looks like theres 4-6" of backing paper on the left side part? Im tight. lol im usually working with a 1/4 on the edge of my design

depends on what type/brand transfer tape your using as far as wet appy. trust me, found that out the hard way on a commercial truck I was lettering. the vinyl basically melted into the tape. I call all those "newbie Mistakes" . most are now on the shop fridge as a dum azzz move reminder. wet apply you want paper tape. I keep all 3 types of tack . there is some clear tape that can be used for wet apply, but it still doesn't do like the paper as far as being able to spray the outer layer and it peel right off. I sell ready to go decals, all I include is instructions.

• Like 1

very, very cool!!

I'm thinking, a wet application if necessary. Just make sure that you thoroughly clean the glass before applying, like with rubbing alcohol.

Another thing to consider is how you were removing the application tape. You need to make sure that you're not pulling the tape up, but you want to fold it back on itself.

• Like 1

Yeah, Newbie work for me! It was a 30" roll and the front glass (where the left side of the flag is) was 26" wide.

I'll have to do some more trial/error with the xfer tapes!

I did the front glass wet.  I actually did the rear glass dry and hinged it down the center of the truck from front to back, which went surprisingly well and cleanly.  I used rapid tac to clean/prep/wet the glass, stuff worked great!

Just wanted to circle back on this.  I picked up stonge high tack tape and WOW what a difference having better material! I did the flag for this truck in 1/4 of the time!

Thanks again for the tips!

20190601_103440.jpg

20190601_103430.jpg

• Like 3

Good quality app tape is a must have. I also use high quality (PG Grade) masking tape to hold my work and hinge with. It costs about 3 times as much but it holds SO much better and comes off cleaner, I wouldn't go any other way after using it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1