Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

CorelDraw 2019 (Mac?)

CorelDraw 2019 is out.  Still can't find a way to upgrade with my subscription.  Took them a month last time to get out instructions.  This time, they claim to have a Mac version.  I can't imagine they ported that easily.  I am guessing the Mac versions but be much different than the Windows version.  It might be based on Gravit as they bought them recently.  I was wondering if anyone with a Mac has tried the trial.

On the Mac trial download page they state under what is included:

Main Applications

• CorelDRAW® 2019 – Vector illustration and page layout
  • Corel PHOTO-PAINT® 2019 – Image editing
  • Corel Font Manager™ 2019 – Font Exploration and management tool
  • PowerTRACE™ 2019 – Bitmap-to-vector tracing (included as part of CorelDRAW 2019 application)
  • Connect Content – Content finder (included as part of CorelDRAW 2019 application)
  • CorelDRAW.app™ – online graphic design via web browser
  • AfterShot™ 3 HDR* – RAW photo editor
  • BenVISTA PhotoZoom Pro 4* – Plug-in for enlarging digital images

They can't, (I think,) have ported all that.  Maybe they did.  So anybody know whats up?  I just wan't to informed enough to explain to a Mac user in the future.

• Thanks 1

A guy on the Draw forums answered me.

CorelDRAW for Mac it's a native new development, of course based on the same structure, and allows to open the same file on both plattforms. The app is a third option (this is based on Gravit but it's a different program).

On the past, Corel use the same Windows version running under MacOS (such as version 8.0 or 11.0), this is the first native Mac version.

• Like 1

Sorry. If I knew my way around corel I would try it out but I suck with the program. (still would if you need)  I tried it with my windows laptop and based on how well that went I doubt I would be helpful. 

12 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Sorry. If I knew my way around corel I would try it out but I suck with the program. (still would if you need)  I tried it with my windows laptop and based on how well that went I doubt I would be helpful. 

Goose...if you can master AI, then Corel should be a snap.  :huh:

In my opinion Corel is much easier to work with and is my "Go to" program.  

Sue2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue2 said:

Goose...if you can master AI, then Corel should be a snap.  :huh:

In my opinion Corel is much easier to work with and is my "Go to" program.  

Sue2

I think AI re-wired my brain. I get frustrated with Inkscape as well. Bottom line is I'm good with AI and own it. If life ever slows to the point of boredom I will take on a couple of those programs just for fun. I have VM Pro as well and have been playing with it here and there so I can be a little help sometimes. It's actually at my day job so when I get a slow moment I have a project to explore. Full time job then the side business means 15-18 hour days most of the time. 

25 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

I think AI re-wired my brain. I get frustrated with Inkscape as well. Bottom line is I'm good with AI and own it. If life ever slows to the point of boredom I will take on a couple of those programs just for fun. I have VM Pro as well and have been playing with it here and there so I can be a little help sometimes. It's actually at my day job so when I get a slow moment I have a project to explore. Full time job then the side business means 15-18 hour days most of the time. 

Well maybe Corel rewired my brain because I don't care for AI.  :(

I have VM CUT and find it very similar to Corel.

Sue2

Digging more into this, the Mac version is not one to one to the Windows version.  I don't know what is missing.  It appears much of the customizable workspace of the Windows version isn't on the Mac version.  One person on the Draw forums called it a "play" version, which would be unfortunate.  

The version at https://coreldraw.app  does appear to be Gravit based and just takes a web browser to run it.  I don't know its capabilities, but know some of Gravit's.   It appears to be able to save to CDR, Draw's native format, but I don't know if it can open it.  It is being provide with 2019, and as far as I can tell requires you to have 2019 license, (full or trial.)  It is being promoted as an out of the office app or a collaboration tool.  Something to use in addition to Draw, not a replacement.  I allows saving to the cloud, for what that is worth.

I will get around to it in a few days and see what is up.