Hi, I'm trying to do research on the HP M452dw laser printer and Ghost White toner. I've been doing cut vinyl transfers for many years and have had to turn down work because I could not "print" designs. This is a hobby that has potential to become a lot more. Investing in this process will set me apart from all the crafter cricket users I'm up against everyday on Facebook etc.

QUESTIONS:

Is the Ghost white toner compatible with Forever Dark/Light transfer paper? Forever seems to only say OKI inks are used. If not , what paper is recommended?

Will a design software like INKSCAPE do the same job as AI or Corel?

Thank you for your help

When you 'turn down' work, why not accept it and simply outsource the printed decals? (online wholesale printing)

It's highly unlikely that regular Forum members are familiar with Ghost White or the specific HP unit you mention.

Furthermore, the direct answer to your last question is simply Yes, for basic vector designs that are meant for cutting, but there apparently are some limitations regarding full-color printing.

All 3 are great programs and all can pretty much do the same thing they just take different processes to get there. I am a big fan of Inkscape, to me it's very intuitive and help when needed is pretty easy to fine online. It's also free, so that's a plus. :)

2 hours ago, slice&dice said:

When you 'turn down' work, why not accept it and simply outsource the printed decals? (online wholesale printing)

It's highly unlikely that regular Forum members are familiar with Ghost White or the specific HP unit you mention.

Furthermore, the direct answer to your last question is simply Yes.

Well, I posted to this forum seeing that US Cutter is a distributor of the Ghost White and the Printer. One might think that other members would have some useful incite to my question. Much of the work I have turned down is single, one off shirts that by the time I pay art fees, shipping, exchange rate (to Canada 35% on the dollar) and taxes its not cost effective for me. That is why I'm looking into making my own.

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

All 3 are great programs and all can pretty much do the same thing they just take different processes to get there. I am a big fan of Inkscape, to me it's very intuitive and help when needed is pretty easy to fine online. It's also free, so that's a plus. :)

Thank you

16 minutes ago, Tee'z By Mark said:

Well, I posted to this forum seeing that US Cutter is a distributor of the Ghost White and the Printer. One might think that other members would have some useful incite to my question. Much of the work I have turned down is single, one off shirts that by the time I pay art fees, shipping, exchange rate (to Canada 35% on the dollar) and taxes its not cost effective for me. That is why I'm looking into making my own.

I am on here everyday for years.  I have not heard of 1 person who has bought this and used it. If they have, they are not posting info here. Just because someone buys from UScutter, does not mean they sign up for the forum.  Contact UScutter tech support...

You don't need white for the dark transfers. They are already white.

Myself, for one off shirts, I just use the dark transfers, add a bit of bleed and contour cut them.

I use cobra pigment ink and never had a problem doing anything I needed.

5 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I am on here everyday for years.  I have not heard of 1 person who has bought this and used it. If they have, they are not posting info here. Just because someone buys from UScutter, does not mean they sign up for the forum.  Contact UScutter tech support...

I think that printer and style of transfer are a fairly new option at USCutter. (could be wrong) I have read about the laser versions of transfer papers a little but not enough to offer helpful info I'm afraid. I like bikemike have dome printed inkjet transfers on Jet Pro Soft Stretch or the 3G for dark shirts but have not delved into the laser printer side. 

On the Inkscape program I didn't think it supported CMYK color format unless there has been an upgrade. It's well known as a vector design program and has a pretty solid trace engine but for printed work it may not be the tool of choice. It IS free through so you aren't out a dang thing to give it a shot before you do something else. 

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

On the Inkscape program I didn't think it supported CMYK color format unless there has been an upgrade. It's well known as a vector design program and has a pretty solid trace engine but for printed work it may not be the tool of choice. It IS free through so you aren't out a dang thing to give it a shot before you do something else. 

Inkscape has some support for CMYK, (none for spot colors.)  But it is buggy, (some ICC profiles won't work correctly.)  Worse, even if it were not buggy, the color profile can't be sent to anything most printers and print shops can deal with, like PDF.  It can produce a color managed svg, but who knows what to do with a color managed svg?  The common open source solution is to make the svg, bring it into Scribus, and produce a color managed PDF from Scribus.  No fix likely to be coming soon.  1.0 alpha doesn't address it.

• Thanks 1