Sign in to follow this  
Macee80

Multi Color Not Sticking to Transfer tape

Hello all, ive been doing multi color decals for some time now, and havnt had any issues.  Have a customer who wants 150 two color decals.  Easy enough, ive done this countless times for others.  NOT TODAY. 

Im using oracal 651 white, laying over a lime green avery vinyl.  Every part of the decal that is a single color pulls up fine, everything that has two colors layered will not come up with the transfer tape.  I am using AT65 transfer tape.

Looking for some help with this, as im running out of time.

Also, i have tried switching the colors, as i thought it may have been something with the bottom layer (avery lime green), still the lettering that is two colors will not come up with the transfer tape.

I hope this make sense and i hope someone can point me into the right direction.

Im not sure if the second half of my roll of tape is bad, two weeks ago i did a run of 50 three color decals and had no issues.

You don't lift the vinyl.  You squeegee the transfer tape real good onto the decal. Turn the decal over transfer tape down and peel the backing away from the decal. It makes a huge difference.  I write these instructions on every vinyl graphic I sell.  Also oils from your fingers, can cause tape not to stick.   Cutting too deep can make the vinyl go into the backing also. 

Are you putting your transfer tape on the top layer of vinyl, (green vinyl)  then layering it on the bottom vinyl with registration marks?  

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You don't lift the vinyl.  You squeegee the transfer tape real good onto the decal. Turn the decal over transfer tape down and peel the backing away from the decal. It makes a huge difference.  I write these instructions on every vinyl graphic I sell.  Also oils from your fingers, can cause tape not to stick.   Cutting too deep can make the vinyl go into the backing also. 

Are you putting your transfer tape on the top layer of vinyl, (green vinyl)  then layering it on the bottom vinyl with registration marks?  

I squeegee the crap out of it, tried it both ways, lifting th vinyl and flipping it over and peeling the backing off.  My only issue is, I put instructions with each order, but we both know people don’t read them.  The  “I know what I’m doing guys” 

Although it works peeling the backing off vs lifting the vinyl, I’m going to say 75 percent if not more won’t do it the correct way. 

I’ll try lifting up the pressure on the green a little bit while cutting.  I’m just surprised that the green that isn’t layered lifts, but the layered does not. 

Yes i I am laying the green on top of the white, using registration marks. 

I’m afraid if I use high tack the smaller letters won’t transfer to the window or whatever they are placing these on 

Has your tape been sitting at room temps?  Just throwing things out there,  as some people keep supplies in garages, or rooms not heated very well.  That can make the adhesive brittle and not stick.   Does the tape feel sticky?  Whatever business your running, you should have different sizes of tapes available.  So, have you tried a different tape? 

9 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Has your tape been sitting at room temps?  Just throwing things out there,  as some people keep supplies in garages, or rooms not heated very well.  That can make the adhesive brittle and not stick.   Does the tape feel sticky?  Whatever business your running, you should have different sizes of tapes available.  So, have you tried a different tape? 

Yea, I use a spare room in my house for this, everything was kept to temp.  I tried a few different kinds I had laying around. 

The roll is about a year old, probably less. 

I tried a different roll of at65, Ht55, which I know is low tack. I also tried a transfer rite ultra, this is an older roll and I wouldn’t trust it, but tried anyway. 

The at65 is my go to, I use it daily, and haven’t had issues with it before on multi color jobs, I figured it was something with the vinyl.  But after changing the colors around (switching the green and white) I still had the same issue.  

I have some freedom with the decal itself, maybe I’ll try to make the letters a little bigger and see if that helps?  

I ordered some high tack to try, after that If it doesn’t work, I’m just going to pass on the job as much as it sucks 

i appreciate your help, I’m burned out on this one, a second set of eyes and someone with more experience is super helpful