elmo

WINPCSIGN 2018 - Removing part of design

So i'm trying to import an design that is EPS and made in illustrator but for some reason WINPCSIGN removes two circles of the design when importing it. Its a LOGO with text in middle and then three circles surrounding the text. Anyone got a clue whats wrong?

Are the circles objects or paths? If objects try converting them to a path then save the EPS.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:44 PM, darcshadow said:

Are the circles objects or paths? If objects try converting them to a path then save the EPS.

Im going to check with my designer! Thanks for the tip

He re-did the paths and now im getting all lines but for some reason my redsail cuts the letters and circles two times so it gets all messed up :(

4 hours ago, elmo said:

He re-did the paths and now im getting all lines but for some reason my redsail cuts the letters and circles two times so it gets all messed up :(

That sounds like there are unfilled paths inside the design. If whomever built your design isn't familiar with some of the quirks within AI it's easy to get duplicate paths that you can't see. The most common one is if the builder uses the quick tool "Merge" in the pathfinder menu rather than "Unite" to weld things together. It will weld the main objects as expected but in any open area within the compound path it will leave an object with no fill. In other words within a lower case a or e the inner part of the letter has an additional piece sitting there that has no fill color so is perfectly invisible and the cutter will cut it twice. There could possibly also be two layers stacked directly on one another that are the same color.

There are several work-arounds if these unfilled objects is the case with your project. Use the cut -by-color options in your cutting utility and be sure you are only cutting the main layer. (this may work for you but I don't use your program to cut so I'm not 100% sure) If you were the design builder you can go into the "stack" in the layer window and select one of the unfilled objects (you can see them in that window) and then use the "select similar fill color" and AI will select them all and just delete them. The best way is to learn to build a "cut ready" file that doesn't have these kinds of mistakes but anyone who has learned AI knows it's a multifaceted program that takes a LOT of time to figure out. 

On 10/8/2018 at 4:26 PM, Wildgoose said:

That sounds like there are unfilled paths inside the design. If whomever built your design isn't familiar with some of the quirks within AI it's easy to get duplicate paths that you can't see. The most common one is if the builder uses the quick tool "Merge" in the pathfinder menu rather than "Unite" to weld things together. It will weld the main objects as expected but in any open area within the compound path it will leave an object with no fill. In other words within a lower case a or e the inner part of the letter has an additional piece sitting there that has no fill color so is perfectly invisible and the cutter will cut it twice. There could possibly also be two layers stacked directly on one another that are the same color.

There are several work-arounds if these unfilled objects is the case with your project. Use the cut -by-color options in your cutting utility and be sure you are only cutting the main layer. (this may work for you but I don't use your program to cut so I'm not 100% sure) If you were the design builder you can go into the "stack" in the layer window and select one of the unfilled objects (you can see them in that window) and then use the "select similar fill color" and AI will select them all and just delete them. The best way is to learn to build a "cut ready" file that doesn't have these kinds of mistakes but anyone who has learned AI knows it's a multifaceted program that takes a LOT of time to figure out. 

Thank you for your answer, i managed to remove the duplicate lines manually in WINPCSIGN. The design cuts out as the design looks! Mega thanks

• Like 1