gm2k8

Laserpoint 24" options on maintenance?

Just wondering what kind of maintenance should we be doing on these cutters? i've had mine since 2008.. use it occasionally throughout the years.. bought new blades here and there.. but haven't replaced anything on it.. i have noticed some files do not close completely so i have small burrs when i am weeding.. also the last few months every once in a while it will stop cutting completely in the middle of a job.. I ran a wire to ground it and sanded off the paint for the ground wire and it seemed to correct it but it still does it once in a while.. any suggestions greatly appreciated.. 

when you say ground it - you mean grounded the stand to the cutter correct?   about the only maint is the blades and occasional cutting strip when they get cut from mistakes like blade set too deep.  every couple of years it seems I do replace blade holders as they get sloppy or don't allow the blade to spin freely but unless you cut a lot of vinyl usually a drop of light oil in the holder makes them last a long time.  

thanks for the reply.. its been a great machine.. as for grounding i grounded the actual cutter.. i am going to run the wire to ground the stand too today,.. where do you order the strip?

the cutter is already grounded thru the 3 pronged plug but the rubber feet/paint insulate the stand and the static builds up in the vinyl - until it discharges thru the carriage during cutting and the reason the stand needs grounded to the plotter

On the cutting strip I am guessing that a 2008 is the creation made version of the laserpoint and the same cut strip as a p-cut  - neither is still listed on the uscutter web site so I am unsure on where to get one - you might call them to check.  sometime later the laserpoint 2 came out that is made by liyu and would have a different strip - not we have the laserpoint 3 and not sure who even makes that one.

• Like 1

ok had time to test today.. put in the pen adapter.. setup a few cuts.. and its freezing with the pen.. any ideas?

You've ruled out static as the problem with the pen test. Have you tried different software or cables? Are you using a USB cable or serial? Serial is a better option if you have one on your computer. If not, you can get a triplite keyspan usb-serial adapter.

• Like 1

im using serial cable i've had since 2008.. the original computer died long ago so i am using another computer with vista with no other software other than signblazer.. that was  in 2012.. i thought i had it taken care of but lately its freezing up every job now

Maybe double check the comm settings. If it starts and then hangs, that sounds to me like the data is getting corrupted. Could be a comm setting issue, or could be the memory in the cutter has started going bad and the data is being corrupted as it's stored and read in the memory.

thanks.. i was researching other posts and first im going to reinstall signblazer and see what happens.. then i might get a new serial cable.. and go one by one until i can figure this out.. of course it starts when i need to use it 

ok i think i figured it out.. the ribbon cable going to the actual cut head assembly is moving in its connector.. it looks like it used to be hot glued down.. anyway to get a replacement.. right now i have the ribbon cable taped and it seems to work fine.. but i want a more permanent solution.. 

spoke too soon.. now it won't work.. :( 

any help guys? i took the cutter covers off.. everything is seated correctly.. i have a feeling its the ribbon cable.. would that cause it not to move the motors? 

1 hour ago, gm2k8 said:

any help guys? i took the cutter covers off.. everything is seated correctly.. i have a feeling its the ribbon cable.. would that cause it not to move the motors? 

does that ribbon cable go to both motors - betting not

On 6/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

does that ribbon cable go to both motors - betting not

the ribbon cable was to the cutter head pcb.. i did a test and used some stranded copper wires about 10" in length and soldered each one to the small pcb on the cutter head to the exact locations of the original ribbon cable.. it worked.. however this was for a test to see if it was indeed the ribbon cable.. i have looked online trying to find a replacement ribbon cable with no success.. i gutted an old printer to rob it of a ribbon cable that was similer style but not the right pin count.. so i soldered it to shorter wires to the small pcb on the cutter head.. i got it working but not back to the original state.. the ribbon cable from the printer is shorter in length so i can cut up to 12" but not 24" because of it.. i would like to find an original cable so i can just plug it into the connector on the cutter head but the other end going to the motherboard is just soldered with huge wires which makes no sense why they didnt just put another connector on that end making it an easy fix.. OR.. im going to gut a few other old printers and rob them of their ribbon cables and connectors and jimmy-rigg this thing to work and then look to purchasing a new cutter.. 

speaking of new cutters.. what is the 'top dog' of the cutters that isn't gonna break my wallet.. i know servo type cutters are better.. whats the bees knees right now?

post the ribbon/name number,  most are printed on the ribbon. 

Most old timers on here use a Graphtec. (I don't mean we are old) just experienced.  Price depends on size. 

i did on both threads.. the length of that ribbon is 550mm and 20mm wide.. 16 pin. and that is the type of cutter i have when i bought it said Laserpoint 24" 

35077787_1896474797083942_3418005016483463168_n.jpg

lp24st1.jpg

On 6/12/2018 at 10:16 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Says in stock   LEKE E206419 AWM 20798 80C 60V Cable VW-1 -   Ask about length. Or if they could get it in your size.  I don't do metrics. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.vendredvd.com/achat-cable-leke-e206419-awm-20798-80c-60v-vw-1-vendredvd-com-437418.html&prev=search

i saw a few like that but don't really trust ordering when i have to translate lol so im gonna work on this one with a longer printer cable and i've ordered a graphtec ce6000 to replace it. if i can get it to work i will use it for none detailed stuff