Buko

Cutting Just The Outlines From a 7 Color Image

Hi! new to the forum here.

Im using scalp3 and wondering if theres a way to take a seven color image and have the machine (tabletop titan) cut only the outlines of each shape once. Everything I've tried so far is causing the cutter to retrace cuts over each shape once for each color (seven times). This is causing the blade to start picking up parts of the cuts and drag them around. Trying to go monochrome seems to take away way too much detail.

I need the image to be cut all at once on the same sheet of material just not this many times. I make stencils that are used to cover plastic then weed colors/shapes accordingly to dye the plastic. If that helps.

I attached the image I'm trying to work with. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

PsychedelicKittie.jpg

well that image is copyright protected....  Paint by numbers for Adults.   I can buy it on Amazon right now. 

If you watch the machine closely, you'll like see it's not cutting each shape seven times but rather the lines where the various colors meet is being cut multiple times. I do not know of any way to quickly get rid of the over lapping lines. It will require a good bit of welding, punching, and node editing to get the desired results. 

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

well that image is copyright protected....  Paint by numbers for Adults.   I can buy it on Amazon right now. 

Thanks for the heads up, I knew this as well. Wasn't going to do anything devious with it, just a personal frisbee. No exhibition or sales, unless you count sailing through the air! : )

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

If you watch the machine closely, you'll like see it's not cutting each shape seven times but rather the lines where the various colors meet is being cut multiple times. I do not know of any way to quickly get rid of the over lapping lines. It will require a good bit of welding, punching, and node editing to get the desired results. 

Thanks for the reply as well, thats what I thought but figured I would ask someone who knows a whole lot more than me.

MZ Skeeter, did you just happen to know that was a copyrighted image or are you using some sort of software to check them?  I've noticed that people point out copyrighted material a lot on this forum (which is a good thing!), but not sure how they know.  Curious, for two reasons; 1) I was given a bunch of images that are suppose to be copyright free, but I can't verify them.   2) I've come across images that are up for sale as copyrighted material but are also available for free downloads and I don't know which they are.

save the image that is posted.. Import the image into Google reverse image search... If that image is posted on the internet, it is copyrighted.  Anything that is already produced is copyrighted if you did not create it originally...It was obviously done by some one other than you...The design does not have to be a registered copyright, All it has to be is created by someone other than YOU.    Some things that can be used are items in public domain.   If in doubt,  don't use them. you could get nailed for them. If you didn't create the design, it does not belong to you, and you will have to see who the owner is and get permission from them, to see if you can use their design. There are vector companies selling vectors, that you are buying a license to 'USE" their vectors, but you do not own the vectors and cannot resell their designs./vectors. 

This cat picture above is from an Adult paint by numbers being sold right now...  Save the image and import it into google reverse image search and you will see that.   I was telling him it was copyrighted before someone posted a vector file for that image, which is against UScutter forum rules...

• Like 2

Skeeter is on point. Most of the free vectors you can download will have the user license along with it that will tell you how you may use their art. Most of the free stuff is for personal use only. A lot of fonts are similar. Even the ones you pay to use may have restrictions that will prevent their use in some ways. Many of the paid designs will allow use as a product but not as a design or part of a design that is a logo or going to a client. So you could buy a cool cat and make t-shirts and sell the shirts but not sell the cat design or use it as part of a business logo like "Hot Cat Tee's" Many will negotiate with you if you want to use it that way but it takes some extra effort and expense.

I have a client that wanted a cool phoenix logo as part of his new business logo. He found one online and wanted me to use it. I tracked it down to a tattoo artist in Poland but the guy would never respond to any of the attempts I made to contact him. We scrapped the design and found a different one that was available to use. Worst thing you could do for a client is sell them something and then have them get their butts sued off by some graphic artist for copyright infringement. Guess who would then be the one dragged into the mess? 

• Like 2

I had never run across doing a reverse image search on Google.  Don't know how I've missed that.  I'll sure be using it a lot in the future. Thanks!

I used to deal with copyrights quite a bit as a database programmer/web developer where I worked with a couple of famous photographers.  They don't mess around when it comes to protecting their images.   The clipart world seems to be a bit more complicated and shady.  The first image I did a reverse search on shows up on the University of Southern Florida's educational clipart database and they offer a commercial licenses.  It's also on dozens of free clipart sights with varying degrees of licenses.   The image itself has been used by the national park service for at least 20 years, but probably closer to 40.  So it's probably safe to assume that most of these "licenses" aren't legitimate.  It makes it pretty difficult to use any image you haven't created yourself.

• Like 1

Your welcome.  If you stop in more often, you can learn more new stuff everyday on this great forum.  :D  I am always learning new stuff on here.  

• Like 4