Sign in to follow this  
Lindahk

Board People

Hi,

I am starting a project to build "Board People", stand ups of former residents of a town to be displayed throughout the town itself.  I was told from one place that they use sign board but in Florida, I am told not to use it but to use metal instead.  My question is ...what kind of material should be used that will last for a long time in the heat, cold and humidity of this State.  The material will need to be painted on so it should be one that will adhere to painting.   Hope this makes sense.  I am also interested in possibly talking to the manufacturers of said materials in hopes to get a good deal as this is a non-profit project in a small rural, economically challenged area.    Any help would be appreciated...thank you.

Welcome aboard.  

Cannot say that I am familiar with your project.  How large will these be?  Are they stand alone with stakes or will they be mounted to the sides of buildings or something else?  What type of paint will you be using?  What is a "long time" that you plan for them to be on display?

Most any metal would likely be ok for what I envision the task.  How good it looks and how long it lasts will be primarily dependent upon your prep work and quality/appropriateness of materials used.

If thin (26 ga.) sheetmetal would work, I have had good results on small signs with using roofing metal.  A local metal roofing supplier sells me flat stock by the foot.  This is the regular roofing "tin" used for homes/metal buildings.  They simply cut off and sell me what I need from the flat roll before it goes through the metal brake that puts the ridges and such in it.  It is very reasonable in cost, comes in several colors and is about 4' wide by whatever length I ask for.  I use a good automotive primer and rattle cans of paint for my tasks.  YMMV

Cal