anthony

cutting magnets

Will the CP2400 cut magnetic sheet with a layer of vinyl covering it.  I want to be able to cut numbers out of both at the same time.  The magnet is 30mil. 

Thanks

Anthony

The CP-2500 should cut that material out just fine. You may need to use a bit more force and slow the cutting speed down a bit, but it should cut .30 mm without any issues.

Ken,

dboy said 30 mil, that's .75 mm, 30 thou thick. And, it's rubbery, so gonna take some drag force to push the blade through it

I have magnets on my fridge from .021 to .056.  .5 mm to 1.4 mm.

I have only the blades that came with the machine, 45 degree. I am assuming the 60 degree blades are ground 60 from the horzontal, so to get an edge on them would make a longer, narrower point, thinner for farther up the blade, easier to push, since they wont flare out the top of the rubber magnet, or poster board/stencil board, for that matter, nearly so much.

I think they would be a bit more fragile, but carbide is a very hard material. Brittle but hard.

Cheers,

George

I have succesfully cut magnet material on the Refine.  Just be sure that you have a backing sheet to hold it all together so that it doesnt get all jumbled up under the blade.  I have used the 45? fine, but the 60? would probably be better.  Like Ken said, Slow the speed down, and up your force alot.

I used transfer paper as a backing sheet, holds it all together and not too hard to peel off like vinyl would be.

I always Sharpied mine too but, Tater gave me a couple good ideas. I like the transfer tape tape backing idea....THANKS ! Gonna try that one!

dont use a 60 degree blade, they are more fragile.  those are for cutting things like heat transfer materials.  I cut some magnetic stock before and it was more work than cutting it by hand, a good exacto was much faster!  not to mention less wear and tear on the cutter.  It can be done but this is something you must decide for your self if you want to do it.