Blackjack2359

Transferring multiple layers of vinyl using wet method

With All the trouble with lining registration marks and the debate between tapes, is it possible to just spray a little soap and water to line up different layers of vinyl? Would that work alright with Oracal 651?

If you are going to do it use some actual transfer solution. I wouldn't be surprised to find that there is a little soap in the professional mix but I would never want to experiment with something that could cause catastrophic failure.  If it's for your self then... 

The biggest issues with wet layered work are the spots where it will trap liquid. The concept of wet install is that the little bit of solution holds the vinyl up off the surface. As you squeegee across the graphic your intent is to push all the solution out from under the vinyl. (Same with air on a dry install) Every wet install I have done I found it hard to get it effectively out from the little areas where a top layer stepped down off the previous layer and onto the substrate. It's totally possible but may cause some "wet" bubbles here and there. 

Thank you Wildgoose. That was my thought as well, but I'm getting frustrated trying to put together several layers and having gaps between them. I just thought that if I were to use the wet method,  I could move pieces a little bit to get a tighter fit.

It can definitely be a challenge. IF I have something with very important registration I layer it before the install. This in it's own can induce some bubbles but it is sometimes easier to deal with those than fight things lining up. Especially if it's on something other than a flat surface. Good luck. 

• Like 1