Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

CorelDraw 2017

Anybody tried CorelDraw 2017 yet.  I am not sure how I feel about them going to what seems a yearly cycle vs the two year cycle they had been on.  I guess they want upgrade revenue.  It makes the subscription model more tenable if you are trying to stay current.  

Most of the changes, though not all seem geared to people using some form or stylus for hand drawing.  They hype calls it an AI that learns your drawing style.  I am %99 mouse and keyboard.  I have a graphics tablet, but am all thumbs with it.  So I don't know if these improvements hit home for me.

Also the redraw rates for some operations are said to be improved.  Some improvements to node operation and visibility are mentioned, and some changes to dealing with color.

I guess I'll download it soon. I was wondering what you guys thought.

heck - I just installed x8 last month, not sure there was a huge difference from x6

2017!!!

LOL...between my various work, laptop & home computers I have Corel X3, X4, X5 & X6 running.

For most of what I do X4 is plenty....but it doesn't like the newer pdf files.

Sue2

It like came out of the blue.  Not like the schedule I was expecting for X9.  I didn't even here a rumor.  Some how one of the news feeds on my phone fed me the release.  But it is a full blown version, with upgrade pricing that is higher and the whole nine yards.  

I just was looking for someone that actually draws vector art using a stylus and or graphics tablet. I don't have good skills there and wonder if I should try harder.  I wonder too if the new tools would somehow corrupt any practice I did try as it somehow transform your scratching into nodes with what they are calling and adaptive AI or something.  So I am guessing it learns how you draw somehow.  What if you reinstall is that training lost?  But I guess it is too new for anyone to have figured it out yet.

I use a surface with my stylus all the time with X8 for making logos, etc.  It works pretty well.  I admit, the changes with 2017 are attractive but I cannot justify the price of the upgrade.

I looked into the $99 yearly upgrade but the minute you drop your subscription you lose your latest version.

Personally, I'm going to stick to paying $199 every two years.  I'll just be a version behind.

Ironbar, I don't use a stylus a great deal.  My graphics tablet collects dust mostly.  But I would be interested if you do give it a try, purchase or trail, that you comment here on how well it can actually adapt to sketching styles and turn chicken scratches into curves.

For everyones information, apparently there is a bug in 2017.  Install it, play around, decide you have seen enough, uninstall, X8 dies.

It seems to write some incorrect registry entries, killing the previous version.  They have a solution on the forums.  Ugly that they let that happen.  Good I guess they were fast with a hotfix.

I'm using 2017. I quite like it. I do use a drawing tablet and it works fantastic with 2017. In fact, I use my tablet way more now to the point my mouse drawing skills are getting rusty. There was a serious bug in early 2017 release for selecting and editing text from pre 2017 CDR's to the point what when zoomed in on the text, your selection highlight made it impossible to know what text you were selecting to edit. Some text would simply vanish too. There is a 2017 (19.1.0.419) update patch floating around on the Internet that solves this problem however and greatly improves speed on opening the programs. Why Corel hasn't officially released this update (and I'm NOT referring to the Hotfix 1 update either) on their own English North American support page for 2017 is disappointing however...the update was distributed on an official foreign Coreldraw web page however so that's how I know about it.

With the 19.1 update 2017 is working very well and stable for me now. Before this update 1 "service pack" I would NOT recommend it at all though...