Mike Jolly

Using Vinyl Cutter for Carbon Fiber Vinyl

I have been searching and comparing for days now.  I cannot find any comments, discussions or feedback on this!  

I'm looking to use a vinyl cutter to cut out some logos using carbon fiber vinyl.  After searching here are my assumptions:

1. Avoid any textured carbon fiber (I would assume textured would affect the accuracy of the cuts and possibly ruin the blade)

2. Look for printed, untextured carbon fiber vinyl

3. If possible, get unlaminated vinyl (I would assume the laminate would affect the cuts and make a mess of the blade).

Has anyone done this before?  Can it be done?  If yes, does anyone have a vinyl recommendation?  Most of what I'm finding is textured and/or laminated (like a 3-layer vinyl) which I'm not sure about.  Again, I've searched and everything is geared towards vinyl wraps.  I'm looking to use a roll of carbon fiber vinyl on a vinyl cutter then apply transfer tape to later apply it to a vehicle (not looking to do a wrap).  I've considered ordering a sample or small roll for some testing but was hoping to get some research and suggestions first.  A customer is requesting some decals using carbon fiber vinyl and I want to make sure it works, and if it does, give him an accurate quote based on the one I would buy.  The 2 I am considering are "Avery Dennison Printed High Gloss Real D Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap" and "3M Printed High Gloss Real D Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap".  Any advice would be appreciated, preferably from someone who has tried this before.  Thank you!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:03 AM, Mike Jolly said:

I have been searching and comparing for days now.  I cannot find any comments, discussions or feedback on this!  

I'm looking to use a vinyl cutter to cut out some logos using carbon fiber vinyl.  After searching here are my assumptions:

1. Avoid any textured carbon fiber (I would assume textured would affect the accuracy of the cuts and possibly ruin the blade)

2. Look for printed, untextured carbon fiber vinyl

3. If possible, get unlaminated vinyl (I would assume the laminate would affect the cuts and make a mess of the blade).

Has anyone done this before?  Can it be done?  If yes, does anyone have a vinyl recommendation?  Most of what I'm finding is textured and/or laminated (like a 3-layer vinyl) which I'm not sure about.  Again, I've searched and everything is geared towards vinyl wraps.  I'm looking to use a roll of carbon fiber vinyl on a vinyl cutter then apply transfer tape to later apply it to a vehicle (not looking to do a wrap).  I've considered ordering a sample or small roll for some testing but was hoping to get some research and suggestions first.  A customer is requesting some decals using carbon fiber vinyl and I want to make sure it works, and if it does, give him an accurate quote based on the one I would buy.  The 2 I am considering are "Avery Dennison Printed High Gloss Real D Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap" and "3M Printed High Gloss Real D Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap".  Any advice would be appreciated, preferably from someone who has tried this before.  Thank you!

So I hadn't been offering carbon fiber to my customers until recently because I just wasn't worth the investment cost. I primarily sell on ebay and people just don't want to pay a whole lot more for carbon fiber than they do for a typical color like matte black. I recently found one by general formulations called Dragon Wrap...the price was decent (240-250$ for a 60"x10yard roll) so I bit the bullet and tried it out. While it is thicker (5.6 mil) and is textured, I actually prefer it to the printed carbon fiber....it just looks more realistic. The only changes I make is cutting at 100g force instead of 90g. Ive had no issues. I boutght it from Ordway and it only comes from them in 60" rolls. They do offer a 12"x60" piece for just under 12$ though so you could just order a couple of those as a trial.

Where are you located? If you tell me how much you need I could price you out a section of mine (at cost). I cut my roll down to 30" so just let me know if you want a section to try out.

This is what i use in my cutter and hasnt failed me yet on anything.Sold alot of decals using this stuff especially on 4x4 vehicles that go thru all the brush,mud etc,havent had 1 complain yet.This guys material has been great so far   .  http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=integra9006hid&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.X+Black+Carbon+Fiber+Vinyl+Wrap.TRS0&_nkw=+Black+Carbon+Fiber+Vinyl+Wrap&_sacat=0

Any extra questions just ask.