PatrickR

First Attempt at Blasting Glass

I volunteer as a high school archery coach and it was time for senior night. We needed something to present to our graduating archers. I found these 7.75" glass trivets at the dollar store (for $1) and decided to give them a try as a plaque. I used 8 mil sandblast vinyl cut on my Graphtec and placed the stencil on the textured side of the glass. Blast media was 80 grit aluminum oxide from Tractor Supply shot at 60psi.

Archery Plaque_cropped.jpg

• Like 8

Looks awesome! For glass you can use cheap vinyl too and it will resist plenty good. I find that to be one of the good options to use the Green Star vinyl for. It's thick and resists good while still removing easily. 80 grit is plenty aggressive for glass too but will gradually break down if you are using it in a cabinet. 

Really nice start, but be careful... you might get hooked!

Cal

• Like 1

It looks great......   That's a nice affordable idea.

17 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Looks awesome! For glass you can use cheap vinyl too and it will resist plenty good. I find that to be one of the good options to use the Green Star vinyl for. It's thick and resists good while still removing easily. 80 grit is plenty aggressive for glass too but will gradually break down if you are using it in a cabinet. 

At 60psi I don't think regular vinyl would have worked.   

I've blasted at 60psi, with no issues, so long as the decal is not too detailed. Obviously the smaller the piece of vinyl the easier it'll lift/blow off.

Applying to a textured glass like above would be the tricking part I would think.

2 hours ago, Go-C Graphics said:

It looks great......   That's a nice affordable idea.

At 60psi I don't think regular vinyl would have worked.   

Good point, especially with 80 grit. I think I blast glass around 35-40psi

Thanks, folks :)

I blasted a jar last evening using some off-brand vinyl. It worked well, but the vinyl was noticeably thinner when I finished. This really is addicting...