term_paint

Corel Draw Version Help Needed

Hello,

I have a cr630 vinyl cutter and running windows 10. I am looking to use corel draw and not sure what version hopefully an older version to keep the cost down. I have been running Sign blazer and would like to get away from that program also because of all the patches and stuff. I have still not found a patch to work. Please give your best opinion because i am just a hobbist that likes to print graphics for RC Models. Thanks.

You looking for a design software or cutting software? Inkscape is a free design software that is just as capable as the big name software. It does take some learning and some aspects are not as straight forward as in other software but it is very capable and free.

Signblazer is the only free cutting software I'm aware of.

38 minutes ago, term_paint said:

I am looking for design software that i can print from like corel even if i have to step back to a windows 7 or 95 computer?

here you go - I know it will cut not sure about printing though

http://www.signcutpro.com/

if you have a roland or graphtec you can cut with their provided plug ins that only work with their plotters

With CorelDraw you have to save to an eps file then cut from any cut program.

I know there is a plug-in for Corel that allows you to cut right from the program....but why bother?

If you save your cut files to eps, you will be able to use ANY program for cutting...now or in the future.

I have CorelDraw X4 running on a Windows 7 machine...but, sometimes it won't import the

newer pdf files etc....so, you save a bit on the cost of the program but give up some utility.

Sue2

I wouldn't go below X6 if your going Corel.  My opinion would be go X8 just so you have software that will still be kicking 5-10 years latter.  Corel has a subscription model that costs more over time, but is less initial cost.  The subscription model also keeps you on the latest version, with X9 not all that far out.

If just designing for cutting is all you need, and want cheap.  Inkscape can get the job done and is free.

One thing that is confusing is you list you have a cutter but talk about printing.  Old hands at vinyl cutters will giggle at you, (maybe inwardly,) by confusing the terms.  If you are talking about printing separately from cutting, never mind.  But if in your mind you are equating printing and cutting as the same thing, it is good idea to understand they are fundamentally different things.

Cutting always needs vector files, thus vector design software.  If you are adding printing, then it is good to have some raster design options as well.  Cutting software cuts, printing software prints.  You need cutting software to drive the cutter.  Someone mentioned Signcut Pro. It has little design features, but cuts well.  The beta version adds some design elements, but I think they are a bit rudimentary.  Signcut Pro coupled with CorelDraw or Inkscape is fine combination for driving a cutter.  

Sue hits an important point dead on.  I, (we,) see a lot of folks that think if they can't get some kind of do-dad, extension, plug-in, or add-on in their design software that can send data straight to the cutter, they are just screwed.  Such add-ons are just a convenience.  Export from the design software and import into the cutting software always works.  No bells and whistles needed.

Another thing that gets confusing is that there have been "print" drivers made for some cutters that essentially DO allow you to "print" to the cutter from a programs print menu.  Note that you have to print from a vector program as vector, (no raster,) for it to wok.  Essentially the print driver has become the cutting software and is not really a print driver as well cutters are not printers.  It just muddles the waters the way I view it.

I think something like Signcut pro with Inkscape, CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator or most any other vector program will cover you from Windows Vista up.  As to Win95, good luck. You might get SignBlazer to work there.

5 hours ago, dcbevins said:

I wouldn't go below X6 if your going Corel.  My opinion would be go X8 just so you have software that will still be kicking 5-10 years latter.  Corel has a subscription model that costs more over time, but is less initial cost.  The subscription model also keeps you on the latest version, with X9 not all that far out.

LOL... I failed to mention I also have X5, X6 & X7 running on various computers...but X4 WILL run on WINDOWS 7 without too many problems...

don't know about WINDOWS 10 though.

I PRINT directly from Corel but save my vectors as eps and CUT with VM and SignBlazer.

CorelDraw does work well with both raster and vector files and comes with a photo editing program too.

BUT, I still refuse to RENT (subscription models) my programs and buy the disk versions.

Sue2

• Like 2

On 1/27/2017 at 6:09 AM, Sue2 said:

X4 WILL run on WINDOWS 7 without too many problems...

don't know about WINDOWS 10 though.

You CAN get X4 to work on Windows 10 but it's a huge pain. For the record for anyone whose interested: https://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x4/f/246/t/51500

And http://vendyxiao.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-start-menu-and-cortana-cant-be-clicked-after-installing-corel-draw/

Be aware, the patches for updates to Coreldraw X4 are NO LONGER AVAILABLE from Corel's website. They only support X5 and higher as of the day I am posting this. When X9 comes out, X5 patches will most likely be dropped too...it's how they seem to do things these days. In the old days they kept patches and updates available for a long long time. But not anymore...Corel is greedy these days.

----An Aside----

I love Coreldraw and have used it since version 4 (and spent thousands of $ as a result) but I'm now strongly in support towards Open Source software and thus I too would suggest Inkscape from http://www.inkscape.org to new users. Inkscape has just released version 0.92 and it has grown up quite quickly. It now supports Gradient Meshes too which was it's major weakness previously. Having a built in rudimentary plotting/cutting feature for free is something Coreldraw or Illustrator does not have. If the free and Open Source Inkcut http://inkcut.sourceforge.net/ vinyl cutting plugin for Inkscape ever gets released and supported for Windows, watch out commercial cutting software companies! You can't beat free...