Sign in to follow this  
dave_dj1

Best way to remove Schein diamondplate decals from pickup truck

I have to remove the lettering from my pickup due to insurance change. It's Schein diamondplate.

Any tips or tricks other than the standard heat gun and plastic scraping tool?

Thanks,

Dave

132fc221677982e3b191f925ba38d889-tumblr_ms5j3aewyh1qg8holo1_500.jpg

There are vinyl removal fluids designed for standard vinyl and reflective vinyls - not sure how well they would work on that kind... I keep saying one of these I'm going to order some to try out... maybe today is that day!

Reading the info on the Reflective Vinyl remover fluid it says it works well on metalized vinyls, too.
https://www.signsplusbanners.com/itemdetail.php?sku=104032-12&p=Removal+Storage+%26+Tools&c=Removal+Fluids

Edited by OWJones
Added details
  • Like 1

OK, I went ahead and took a chance.  I ordered their Vinyl Remover, the Reflective Vinyl Remover, Ghost Off and Graphix Gone - all to try out.  Plus a quart of Rapid Tac II because I'm running low.  That's at least 4 quarts of liquids, plus 2 of the 4 oz.bottles of Graphix Gone - I was anticipating an insane S&H quote and instead it was $9.50.  I'm already loving these guys!

• Like 1

Well I removed all the vinyl today. I washed the truck both before and after. It was nice out, about 44 deg f. I used a HF heat gun. The Oracle 651 was a bit of a pain just because it was a very dainty font but once I figured out how much heat to use or not to use it went well. The Schein metallic diamondplate actually came off fairly easy, again it was a matter of the proper heat. Too much and it got gooey, too little and it would leave residue. For clean up I just used a couple of fiber detail cloths and some plain old paint thinner and elbow grease. The truck actually looks pretty good.

Now to add some general graphics. The reason I had to take my lettering off for my business was due to us changing insurance companies. They have it insured commercial but don't want lettering. I was ready for a change anyway :)

Thanks for the help and hopefully this will help other newbs. ;)

I placed the order yesterday and paid $9.50 S&H.  Got home tonight and it was sitting on the porch.  About 10 lbs of fluids and got it next day.  For $9.50...

Now to find out if the stuff is any good!

• Like 1

I have read that some really like using a wall paper steamer.  My father in law is looking for one to take the aged clear film off his 911- will keep the group updated. 

• Like 2