plain ol Bill

LED lights on cutter

I'm sitting here reading through this thread again as I am about to order led light strips. Has anyone thought about just using the power available in the machine to power them? 

I'll have to dig out the manual and see what's available inside there :)

24 minutes ago, dave_dj1 said:

I'm sitting here reading through this thread again as I am about to order led light strips. Has anyone thought about just using the power available in the machine to power them? 

I'll have to dig out the manual and see what's available inside there :)

I wouldn't recommend it. The boards need a certain amount of power to run properly and if you take away any voltage you could damage it.i highly dont suggest it.The power supply is pretty cheap for the led setup.

18 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

Just curious if you use the groove just below your tape for when you cut your vinyl.  its a great groove for straight cuts lol

Yes, that is what it is for...

I guess I should've posted a pic of mine. after @PrimalDecals sent me a pic of his I had to follow his lead. but I think his is brighter than mine.I was using a small led flashlight for setting things up or looking at the cuts  I also ordered mine from amazon and got them the next day. and like someone else posted mounted my remote with velcro on top of my cutter. soon as I as I can find a use ,I will use the remaining 12ft

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

I guess I should've posted a pic of mine. after @PrimalDecals sent me a pic of his I had to follow his lead. but I think his is brighter than mine.I was using a small led flashlight for setting things up or looking at the cuts  I also ordered mine from amazon and got them the next day. and like someone else posted mounted my remote with velcro on top of my cutter. soon as I as I can find a use ,I will use the remaining 12ft

getting the bright white makes a huge difference from the warm white leds too - on the remaining 12 ft they make great under the rail bed lights in pick ups

P3040013.JPG

• Like 4

Thanx! I guess we know where their going now. lol. Dang, I guess I will order a few more sets for my enclosed trailer.

I will get mine out and see what they are. the remote that came with my set has all kinds of functions, most I will never use.

I have been using mine and they work good.  Only problem I am having is that the sticky film on the back isn't sticky enough and keeps dropping down off the cutter.  I guess I can get some sticky two sided tape and try that.

32 minutes ago, bigfrank said:

I have been using mine and they work good.  Only problem I am having is that the sticky film on the back isn't sticky enough and keeps dropping down off the cutter.  I guess I can get some sticky two sided tape and try that.

on the camper awning and the truck bed I used a nasty silicone adhesive to adhere it - neither one has moved since.  the awning did the same thing you experienced before I did that 

Just now, Dakotagrafx said:

on the camper awning and the truck bed I used a nasty silicone adhesive to adhere it - neither one has moved since.  the awning did the same thing you experienced before I did that 

Yeah, not sure that will be necessary for the cutter.  Double sided tape should work just fine.

3 minutes ago, bigfrank said:

Yeah, not sure that will be necessary for the cutter.  Double sided tape should work just fine.

the led lights i got came with strong adhesive on one side,,

5 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

the led lights i got came with strong adhesive on one side,,

Not that read through this whole thread ( I got in early) I would have done a couple of thing differently.  I didn't get a remote, which in my case would be great for on/off.  I may go back and find another strip of lights with a remote and possibly some stronger adhesive.  The lights were cheap enough and it really works great.  Thanks Primal!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bigfrank said:

Not that read through this whole thread ( I got in early) I would have done a couple of thing differently.  I didn't get a remote, which in my case would be great for on/off.  I may go back and find another strip of lights with a remote and possibly some stronger adhesive.  The lights were cheap enough and it really works great.  Thanks Primal!

i didnt get the leds with a remote. I went to ace hardware and bought a set of plugs that came with 1 remote...

I ordered mine last night along with some right angle connectors, I'm going to try and do two strips, one in the front and one in the back.. I didn't order remote control ones, just plain white simple ones, I'm hoping to use the leftovers on my Jeep!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF66JO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM7F052/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

well the lights and connectors came in yesterday. Anyone have experience/advice on how to add the connectors once you cut the strip? There is a heavy rubber coating, I've never dealt with this stuff before. I'm guessing a razor or something similar. I did stick on just the front and holy smokes what a nice feature, they should come from the factory with them! Thanks for the idea.

I have to say I am disappointing this morning :(

Half of the strip has fallen down, not sure what to use to stick it back up. I may have to look for some 3m tape. The light strip seemed sticky enough but I guess not.

2 hours ago, dave_dj1 said:

I have to say I am disappointing this morning :(

Half of the strip has fallen down, not sure what to use to stick it back up. I may have to look for some 3m tape. The light strip seemed sticky enough but I guess not.

same thing happened on our camper awning and the reason I stated before I use a silicone adhesive when I use the strips now