Richard D

Problems Importing DXF files

I have an Expert 24 plotter. I have been using the trial version of Signblazer, and it is O.K. I don't like that I have to go from Signblazer, design, export, then import into the GCC software, Also, when I want to do complex graphics, I much prefer to draw in AutoCAD as I have used it extensively for nearly 30 years, many years of that all day every day. When I draw and export a DXF file, it is often skewed and some shapes just flat don't import in. Anyone else have this problem? Is it because I am using the trial version?

Try saving it as an older version of DXF like AutoCAD R2000 or R12.

Have you tried QCAD? I have read that you can open them in QCAD and then export them from there as svg files which should plug and play better. I am not a CAD guy but there was some talk of having closed polylines in the CAD program or fight having many multiple segments. 

Can't AutoCAD export files as eps? Assuming it exports them as a true EPS and not a raster image imbedded in an EPS, most any cutting software should be able to open it and cut it. Just curious, why are you using SignBlazer to design, and a different program to cut? Why not just cut from SignBlazer?

15 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Can't AutoCAD export files as eps? Assuming it exports them as a true EPS and not a raster image imbedded in an EPS, most any cutting software should be able to open it and cut it. Just curious, why are you using SignBlazer to design, and a different program to cut? Why not just cut from SignBlazer?

He said he designs in CAD

He does both, said he didn't like going  from Signblazer, design, export, then import into the GCC software and when he does more complicated designs does them in AutoCAD.

My Expert 24 cutter won't cut straight from Signblazer, has to go through the GSS "Great Cut 3" software, which isn't that great, can't even type letters in it. Have a typo, gotta go back to Signblazer, correct it, export it, return to GSS and import it, then cut. Big hassle. That's what you get with a $400 cutter. If I was a full time signmaker, it wouldn't "cut" it!

On 10/27/2016 at 1:07 PM, Wildgoose said:

Have you tried QCAD? I have read that you can open them in QCAD and then export them from there as svg files which should plug and play better. I am not a CAD guy but there was some talk of having closed polylines in the CAD program or fight having many multiple segments. 

The GCC software doesn't read SVG files. Really wish I could bypass this clunky system...

Have you tried picking random cutters from the signblazer menu? Even if the cutter isn't listed, there is a good chance one of the others in the list will work with your cutter.

What version of autocad do you have? A quick google searched showed several results on how to export an EPS from autocad.

Something else to try, have you played with Inkscape at all? I keep finding references that GreatCut 3 can cut directly from Inkscape, although I have not been able to find instructions on how to do this.