FrznFire07

.080 Corner Rounder?

We need a corner rounder that'll cut .080 Aluminium, it's getting expensive to sand each one down with a belt sander, works great for a few, but we have some large orders coming up and it's takes too much time.

So we found a corner rounder thru accu cutter, but they are expensive ($700).  I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that might have one for sale used? 

Or does anybody know of an alternative? There doesn't seem to be many of these that are quality.  We are willing to spend the money but if someone has an alternative that is cheaper or perhaps a used one it'd be nice.

As far as I know, aluminum can be cut with carbide tipped tools.  I've cut extruded aluminum several times with my miter saw and a blade with carbide teeth. Take it slow, and it cuts like butter.  For the thickness you're looking to cut, you might try using a router.

Make a jig to slip the corner into that has the radius you're looking to cut on the outside.  Use a flush cut bit to follow the profile of the jig.

That is similar to what we've been doing for awhile now, we really just use a belt sander on it's side and then a file to take down any rough edges.  It works well enough but when we have 100 to do at a time, it's just too time consuming, it'd be way more efficient to have a corner rounder.  We have one that'll cut thru .040 just fine, it's just can't handle the .080 aluminium.

I have scoured the internet looking for a cheap rounder too. Best one I have found appears to be the Xpert corner rounder that does 4 radius options. I have yet to purchase one just because I don't do that much volume but it would be on my Christmas list if anyone was wondering. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 0:44 AM, Wildgoose said:

I have scoured the internet looking for a cheap rounder too. Best one I have found appears to be the Xpert corner rounder that does 4 radius options. I have yet to purchase one just because I don't do that much volume but it would be on my Christmas list if anyone was wondering. 

My birthday in Feb. :D