Cosmo Kid

help cutting reflective vinyl with the titan 3

i have the 54in titan 3 and i can not get it to cut reflective vinyl. does anyone have a setting that will work? has anyone used that cutter to cut reflective vinyl? I have gone throw about 10ft of material trying different settings with no luck. it's the 3m high intensity.. PLEASE PLEASE HELP...lol 

I cut 3m engineering grade all the time with the graphtec that doesn't have the downforce of the titan - which 3m reflective is it - I also have a roll of 3m 3437 that I don't think there is a cutter made that will cut thru that - I use it for backing on street number signs

Well all I can say is use a 60 degree blade (will probably need a lot of exposed blade) and use the highest pressure/force setting the machine has.

It's the 3m hi intensity prismatic 3931. I have tried all different blade depths and pressure along with multiple passes. it will cut throw the material but will not cut throw the sticky layer. I really hope I don't have to manually cut it. 

3m spec sheet says

Plotter Cutting Programmable knife cut (electronic cutting) 1. Flat bed plotters can either die cut or kiss cut and offer the most consistent reliable performance. 2. Friction Fed plotter. Kiss cut only. Success has been achieved using plotters that have 600 grams of down force and a 60º cutting blade. Additional drive wheels may need to be added to improve tracking. An alternative procedure is to cut sheeting from the liner side. Blade force and knife depth must be set to score but not cut through the topfilm. Break apart individual copy or apply premask to retain spacing.

I would throw in a new cleancut blade if I was trying to cut that - if it is like mine it is closer to a thin sheet of plexi than the normal vinyl we use

Yah it is close to thin plexiglass. No matter what I do all I can do it is grt it to cut throw the reflective part but not throw the glue layer thus making it impossible to weed without ripping.. thanks for the input and helping a newbie. 

Hi i have the same Titan 3 and the same material 3m 3931 for me the setting that works is pressure 650- 675 and a 60 deg blade. Instead using a lot of material just use a piece and the test button until you get a perfect cut and the depth that you need and go from there . The second option would be to cut twice( 2 passes on the same path) .

• Like 2