andygeekboy

Newbie Question

Hi All, 

Newbie question here.

I've bought some siser easyweed to play around with, I don't have a heat press so would it be possible to improvise with a regular iron?

Thanks

lots of people on the craft forums use an iron - and lots of them complain about durability because they can't get accurate temp and time along with even pressure - so yes you can - how long it last is another question . .  . I wouldn't sell any done that way

• Like 1

Be VERY careful. There is a slippery slope just out from the edge of the pool and once you get your feet in you're likely to side in up to your neck. 

Like Dakota said, there are three important factors for a good HTV job. Time, Temperature and Pressure. If you miss any one of the three you will have poor adhesion. However if you get all three which is relatively easy with a heat press then you can't get that stuff off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

Like Dakota said, there are three important factors for a good HTV job. Time, Temperature and Pressure. If you miss any one of the three you will have poor adhesion. However if you get all three which is relatively easy with a heat press then you can't get that stuff off. 

Time is not so much a problem with the iron method but the actual temperature AND the pressure is critical.

It would be near impossible to affix anything larger than the sole-plate itself with just an iron.  

You can't lay the HTV down and swipe your iron over it like regular ironing...that won't work.  

Watch a few you-tube videos to get an idea of what is involved....AND keep your designs small.

Done right the HTV will outlast the shirt....but probably not when using an iron to apply.

Sue2

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Be VERY careful. There is a slippery slope just out from the edge of the pool and once you get your feet in you're likely to side in up to your neck. 

I feel the pull already, I've got my eye on either a ce-6000 or a gs-24, I need to do more research :)

majority say graphtec, followed by roland and a few die hard summa fans - none of which would trade their cutters for the other.   roland hands down finds registration marks better than any other machine I have owed, graphtec does finer detail better, summa I haven't had my hands on yet

• Like 1

Always nice to have a smaller press around for kids and small women's shirt sizes. That might come in handy for the space between the pocket and neck on hoodies too. You will have a little fun lining up regular size shirts on that thing I'm afraid but it CAN be done. I don't think I would want to work on anything smaller than a 15 x 15 for everyday use. It'll get you started. 

• Like 1