Sign in to follow this  
Leland Webb

At my wits end.

Okay, there has got to be an easier way... This is an 8 layer vinyl I'm trying to peice together, I'm using a light box, and I'm trying to use alignment marks. Any one else do anything this crazy?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I have done several t-shirts like that but HTV is easier to work with. At the end of the day printing really is better for some of that kind of thing even though you are like me with no printer. The tiny details won't last that long so the end product looses some of the longevity. Good work though. Transfer those over onto a piece of clear backing from Oracal 8810 or Gerber 225 and you can see through the layers better as you stack them. This is also a good application for clear app tape. 

• Like 4

If you're only making one, then layering is probably the cheaper option.   If you're making multiples, definitely go with printing - unless you're a glutton for punishment.

The only things Id suggest is to change your registration marks. Put them at the top of your image. The extra vinyl you lose is better then messing up the whole layer and re-cutting. Then just take your time lining up. A light table really helps or a big window you can work on during a sunny day. You can place parchment paper in between the layers while layering to help alignment. Another thing to do is flip the new layer over and remove the backing then lower it down just below the registration marks then you can see clearly where they are, once they are lined up and stuck to the layer underneath then you can remove the backing from the rest.

Im not sure that was clear but I found that way on youtube and its been helpful.

nice work...ya it's a huge pain. I layered a full color Blackhawks head once.  Never again.