HolyMoley

Self Adhesive Inkjet-friendly Media Recommendation

About to order a roll of self-adhesive polypropylene vinyl that I intend to print with my HP inkjet then contour cut with the Titan 3 I just received. However, before I do...

Since I have cut nothing yet, I wanted to make sure that the cutter can handle this particular media. It's a cheap no-name media that is 8 mil at 205g. It will take my HP inks but I didn't know how the cutter would handle it (is 8 mil too thin or too light?).

And, can the cutter handle something that is self-adhesive?

Thanks!

Yes your cutter will cut it. If it were me I would buy a cheap roll of green star and practice cutting before I jumped in with both feet. You can always practice contour cutting on paper with a carrier sheet. 

17 hours ago, HolyMoley said:

About to order a roll of self-adhesive polypropylene vinyl that I intend to print with my HP inkjet then contour cut with the Titan 3 I just received. However, before I do...

Since I have cut nothing yet, I wanted to make sure that the cutter can handle this particular media. It's a cheap no-name media that is 8 mil at 205g. It will take my HP inks but I didn't know how the cutter would handle it (is 8 mil too thin or too light?).

And, can the cutter handle something that is self-adhesive?

Thanks!

8 mil is actually fairly thick as vinyl goes but I think about normal for print friendly vinyl. Regular cast vinyl is 2 mil and regular calendared is 3 mil.  You will want to do some test cutting to get dialed in before you try your print. The 205g is probably someones estimate of the downforce they think will be about right. Every cutter is different as to what is going to be the proper amount. Yours should have a text cut feature in your software to do some tests to be sure the pressure is set enough to cut through the vinyl but just scrape the carrier sheet. If you can feel the cut line from the back side you have too much pressure.