j.ldesigns

working with a separate graphic designer and charging...

so i need your thoughts...

A local graphic designer approached me to print and make some banners for a client of hers. She is a work from home style person with no ability or knowlege in sign making. She gave me the  information for the desired product and I gave a quote for her to pass on to the client. I told her I would invoice the client myself and deliver it to them(since it was also local) few hours later she responded that it was a go and she stated "when you send the invoice charge her $450 and then just give me 50 cash of it). My thought are thats shady way since i know she gets paid already for designing it and now wants more. She told me im cheaper than the other person by almost $1 sq foot. Once I delivered the product the client was mad bc the colors didnt match and threatened to make me re print it.(not my fault i printed what i was given)
fast forward a few weeks and she again asked me for a quote for some signs. After the previous issues with her i had told her i want to deal with the client, invoice them direct and have taking time with then to insure they get what they have in mind with no issues. She told me each place would pay separate but she needed an idea on cost since the client had a budget of $600 for a 20''x30'' double sided sign. She then told me she was charging 300 for each sign to design them(5 of them). long story short i gave the cost and she then turned around and said to invoice her and she would just bill the client. From prior clients and knowing that they were under budget for each sign, i feel like she saw this as a way to make even more money... AM i wrong?     how do you deal with your local graphic only designers?

sorry for any spelling or issues  hopefully it makes sense? 

watch out it doesn`t back fire on you or stop dealing with that designer.

prices are threw the roof.

mark-s

You should bill her direct and treat her as the client, if she resells the end product and charges them for graphics, that's her business.  If anything is wrong at that point it is her problem, not yours.  She is the graphic artist, so she should be able to work any color issues with you.  You should also insist that you print a small maybe 6" x 12" color proof for her to show the client before you print anything for her and maker her sign off on that proof in case she fails to show the end client.   I would give her a break on the printing since she obviously is bringing you work, but let her know your prices are firm and that she is going to have to consider that when pricing jobs in the future.  It sounds like she is quoting jobs without considering the true cost of the end product to produce.  I think that would be a better deal for both of you, you can train her to deliver what you need, plus she is like an outside salesperson you don't have to pay or babysit, she doesn't run the risk of you cutting her out by contacting her clients directly. 

• Like 4

I guess I would ask why you want to get between the designer and her client?

I would go in one of two ways.   In your case above, I would say the designer is your client.  You make the product to the specs given and invoice the designer and give the product to the designer.  What and how much she bills the 3rd party is not your concern.

The other way of dealing with this designer is to simply pay her a *finders fee* or commission for bringing the client to you.  You then deal directly with the client and if it results in a sale a fee is paid to the designer.  

Cal

eashonk and clhyer are right. You work for HER not her client. You are just an outside resource she is using . No big deal but you get direction and approval from HER and payment from HER. She takes the risk with the client being happy or unhappy. If she is not willing to deal that way then I would send her down the road to get her own equipment or tell her to just refer that type of work directly and she won't get a cut. She can still make her money from the design (until they start coming to you and find out you will do the same thing for them). 

I use outside printers when I need a print. I hire them (usually dakota) and I pay them and then present the final product to my client, with mark up and profit. If there is a problem I have the problem and either go back to the printer and pay them again since I didn't give them the correct information or I get paid again from the client if THEY gave me the information. Either way the fight is hers with the first problem scenario.  As a graphic artist she should be well versed in her color management but she probably isn't. 

As for what she charges her clients I say that's her business. In theory she needs to cover enough profit to cover the cost of a re-print every now and then. Maybe this one goes smooth but the next one has a hang up and she has to eat a second print. It's one of those things that you have to look at from both sides of the coin. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone advise is greatly appreciated. I totally get what each of you says and I see both sides. I was just seeking your thoughts. my biggest thing was taking the clients budget and charging the full amount for something that shouldn't be... I mean would you pay for a aluminum faced composite (omega bond) 20"x30" double side print with laminate,square in shape, with design ...$600. Or even close to that ?   I want a designer that's honest to The amount they charge for the work they do.. I want repeat customers not one time empty their pockets and try to find another

Maybe I'm wrong?

If the client doesn't like her price they will shop around and hopefully find you.  

Then you'll come in at your normal price and have them as your customer.  

Till then stay out of her business and just treat her as your customer.   

6 hours ago, j.ldesigns said:

Thanks everyone advise is greatly appreciated. I totally get what each of you says and I see both sides. I was just seeking your thoughts. my biggest thing was taking the clients budget and charging the full amount for something that shouldn't be... I mean would you pay for a aluminum faced composite (omega bond) 20"x30" double side print with laminate,square in shape, with design ...$600. Or even close to that ?   I want a designer that's honest to The amount they charge for the work they do.. I want repeat customers not one time empty their pockets and try to find another

Maybe I'm wrong?

Depends on how much time the design took.

11 hours ago, j.ldesigns said:

Maybe I'm wrong?

I agree that seems pretty steep. A lot of the design stuff gets sold based on the designers name recognition and reputation. May or may not be the case in this instance but I have seen similar where someone hired "The Firm" (not their actual name) to do their graphics who has done a bunch of the stuff for the Bronco's and such so they become famous and then busy and then expensive. But the client gets to tell everyone "The Firm" designed this sign. Strange thing is it's ridiculously simple and anyone could do it other than it's SOOO simple it takes the "Vogue" designer convincing the client this is what they should do. You or I they wouldn't listen to.