rbarron

Printer/Plotter Combo Unit Or Two Separate Devices?

All -

I've been cutting vinyl stickers for a couple of years now - mostly hobby, but I do occasionally sell some stuff - but more and more, I am being asked to do custom print and cut stuff. I want to make the jump, but I am indecisive on the what to buy.

Should buy a smaller combo unit like the Roland VersaStudio BN-20, or do purchase a separate cutter and printer? I like the 24" stepper cutter I have, but would like to move up to a servo unit of the same size. Is there a 24" solvent or latex printer on the market?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

~rob 

I was never a fond of any "combo" unit for any type of device. If the printer portion dies you have an over engineered cutter likewise if the cutter dies. Also you can only use one portion of it at a time. You either cut or you print if your workspace provides room to have both then I would own both.

Some will argue the other direction this is only my opinion.

Roland makes a 30" combo like I have had 2 of - in my space it is the only way to work - I have a cutter set up in the basement but the printer/cutter upstairs where the climate is controlled to a fine degree for best results uscutter sells a 30"

I think you will find the media at 20-24" very limited - the 30" machines are much faster and more media choices

i have had 3 roland print/cut machines so that is the only experience I have had

http://www.uscutter.com/MIMAKI-CJV150-75-Printer-Cutter-System

Well, I think I've talked myself out of a combo unit. I'm leaning toward the 24" PrismJet VJx, which is a rebranded Mutoh ValueJet 628. And upgrade my stepper cutter to servo jobber like the Qe6000, which is a rebranded GraphTec. Or maybe a Roland CAMM-1 GS-24 or CAMM-1 Pro GX-300 30". Any opinions on the Roland vs GraphTec choices?

1 hour ago, rbarron said:

Well, I think I've talked myself out of a combo unit. I'm leaning toward the 24" PrismJet VJx, which is a rebranded Mutoh ValueJet 628. And upgrade my stepper cutter to servo jobber like the Qe6000, which is a rebranded GraphTec. Or maybe a Roland CAMM-1 GS-24 or CAMM-1 Pro GX-300 30". Any opinions on the Roland vs GraphTec choices?

with the rebranded graphtec just make sure you order with the contour cut capability - in the past they did not come with it unless added as an option - not sure on the 6000 series.  I have had several of the q and we series and not one of them had the contour capability and you have to use software that supports the vinyl express cutters as the graphtec software and drivers will not work - they have a proprietary chipset in them so sw has to provide the support (graphtec won't touch them for support) - 
1 make sure you order the cutter with the contour option
make sure you purchase the software that supports that cutter
the mutoh prints nice at the shows but getting parts 3+ years down the road has proven very difficult for past models - unlike the mimaki and roland that you can get parts for  8+ years down the road.

sometimes the cheapest route isn't the cheapest in the long run

PS check the price of the maint. station part on that mutoh also - it is one unit and not separate parts like the mimaki and roland so instead of $under $100 it is $640 and heads are one unit at $1750.  

Also make sure you have a well thought out plan that includes printing every day or 2 and includes maintenance $$$. 

That's alot of money for a hobby. 

• Like 1