busterbay

Death of the Forum

This Really needs addressed or the forum will die.There is NO better way to kill a site then to have it reported as dangerous.

post-64078-0-67469500-1467887254_thumb.j

• Like 1

I agree.  Been getting this now for 3 or 4 days.

This morning I hit ignore, but every different page I want to look at requires me to go through the ignore ritual again...

Cal

I can honestly say I have spent $1000's at USCutter because of this support forum. I'm sure others have also, without this forum there is nothing that sets USCutter apart from the other big distributors.  

• Like 3

Firefox did this to me and I filled out the section that said it was wrong and told them in the description this site is legit.

Not sure why it would assume this is a dangerous site

As stated in the other thread it is an issue with needing to update the forum software and is being addressed, with the size of the database this forum has from the years of use I am sure this is not an easy task

Database size doesn't typically affect the easy of a forum update. Updates rarely touch the database and just modify the user interface. Occasionally updates make a significant change though that causes the current style to not be compatible and it can take a good bit of time to get the forum to look the way you want.

• Like 1

Database size doesn't typically affect the easy of a forum update. Updates rarely touch the database and just modify the user interface. Occasionally updates make a significant change though that causes the current style to not be compatible and it can take a good bit of time to get the forum to look the way you want.

did you happen to be around for the last update a few years back - when we lost the ability to search old post?  I would rather it take a couple of days and get it right than to lose all the knowledge again - basically starting from scratch where the search does no good.   I know everyone is tired of the problems we have had at the beginning of the month for quite a while and this is an issue that is being addressed - I am sure the IT department at USC is not having fun with it either.  the first day they said they had techs from google there helping to identify the problem - with help like that available in Redmond I can say that I personally do not have the knowledge to top that.

Oh, I'm agreeing it'll can be a mess and take some time to get up and running as desired just that the size of the database shouldn't play into it. Unless the new system is not compatible with the existing database then having to convert data into a form the new system can use could take quite a bit of time.

This isn't a database size issue at all.  We were using an older software version of the forum software and for some reason with the most recent search engine change that Google did, it's now flagging this version as unsafe.

As someone on this thread pointed out, when you update software versions, sometimes bad things happen so we had avoided doing it.  Google has forced our hand.

It takes a long time to do this as there's a ton of data associated with this forum.  

Very sorry about that.

• Like 4

Quick update:  We have everything fixed and have submitted this for approval to Google.  Sometimes that's 10 minutes, sometimes it's two days - but we have the work completed. We're just looking for a "blessing" from the Google folks.

• Like 5

I have no idea what google has to do with the problem other than maybe their chrome browser, but that has nothing to do with the 40 to 50 warnings from Avast anti-virus that goes nuts with every page from this forum (through Firefox & windows). Doesn't look "fixed" to me??

I have no idea what google has to do with the problem other than maybe their chrome browser, but that has nothing to do with the 40 to 50 warnings from Avast anti-virus that goes nuts with every page from this forum (through Firefox & windows). Doesn't look "fixed" to me??

I would guess from reading this that google has to update their "blacklist" from tagging the forums old software on the site.  just a guess form a quick research

Google Safe Browsing is a blacklist service provided by Google that provides lists of URLs for web resources that contain malware or phishing content.[1][2] The Google ChromeApple Safari and Mozilla Firefox web browsers use the lists from the Google Safe Browsing service for checking pages against potential threats.[3][4] Google also provides a public API for the service

That's where I don't understand. Basically google is blacklisted here on my computers. Nothing here talks to google... It's Avast anti-virus that's flagging the forum with 50 or so threats blocked on every page. Nothing to do with google...

That's where I don't understand. Basically google is blacklisted here on my computers. Nothing here talks to google... It's Avast anti-virus that's flagging the forum with 50 or so threats blocked on every page. Nothing to do with google...

not a clue on that one - that is a question for the it people and they won't be back till monday - unless avast also checks that same list that they seem to sell to everyone else

You might be right on that one. After a search, the only thing I could find was a distribution agreements between google and avast. A good clue that avast uses the google list. I would have expected a different result than blocked threats though, but I didn't write avast...

hopefully early this next week it all gets resolved and we can get used to the new software version that we don't appear to be seeing yet

• Like 1

I have never seen any kind of major computer system changeover that has went as planned yet so I don't know why everyone expected this one to go flawlessly either. I'm just glad the old one is still up and running for now while they work through the details. I would be having forum withdrawals if it was totally down. 

• Like 2