I have recently purchased the 53" Titan 3 to primarily cut sandblast mask. I have used multiple 60 degree blades and tried various speed and force settings. I am wondering if I just do not have the proper combination. We have used lasers in the past to cut our vinyl but have decided to try the cutter route. We know multiple other companies that use and have always used cutters only to cut their mask. They have much more expensive cutters, but was really hoping, based on what I've read, this cutter would work for us.

The images attached were cut at 350 force, 150 speed, with a 60 degree blade. the depth is perfect, just a very sloppy cut.

Any and all help wold be appreciated.

post-98529-0-11655500-1466003275_thumb.j

post-98529-0-55354900-1466003282_thumb.j

I don't have that cutter, but how thick is that material? Maybe you need to make 2 passes when cutting, looks like the blade is extended out to far to me, maybe slow the machine down also

I thought that too mfatty about the too much blade but if it is just scoring the backing then it should be ok.  it appears on every turn of the blade - I would start with inspecting the blade tip to make sure it hasn't been damaged, then add a drop or lightweight oil like 3 in one into the blade holder before reinserting the blade so it turns freely.  the extra wide area when the blade is inserted and removed again looks like too much blade or the material is sticking to the blade itself at that point.  I would slow the machine way down and try that, I can't remember the speed calibration of the titan2 when I had it but I know with the graphtec I cut at 8-10 - but again that is different for every cutter and can very well be an arbitrary number and not a scale like FPS

This is how to set the blade depth perfect.   Looks like too much blade exposed above.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 2

I've never heard it done like that before Mz Skeeter  ;D

What??   :huh:   Ha..It gets posted all the time on here...

• Like 1

Don't know if the Titan offers it but my Graphtec has a TANGENTIAL Mode

From the Manual "This function should be used for the cutting of thick media (more than 0.3 mm in thickness) and when the cutter blade is not able to turn properly due to the cutting depth, resulting in discrepancies between the start and finish point and the inability to cut sharp corners." The Overcut amount is particularly important when in this mode.

You might try a different Sandblast resist. I have cut fairly detailed masks with this 12 mil product with great success with my Liyu TC and Graphtec CE5000.

post-43059-0-85630800-1466012855_thumb.p

Also, there are much heavier duty plotters made for cutting stencil materials. Bren comes to mind.

This is how to set the blade depth perfect.   Looks like too much blade exposed above.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

I've never heard it done like that before Mz Skeeter  ;D

What??   :huh:   Ha..It gets posted all the time on here...

WHAT?? really? 

Tangential emulation may or may not help but that's where I'd start too. I have mixed emotions on emulation. The problem being that there is no clear direction on when and where the blade needs to be raised to help cut, how tight a corner gets a raised or not etc... Summa makes a true tangential that the computer actually controls the blade spin and I'd like to have one for such things but I don't hardly cut that thick so I have never pursued one. 

You might try slowing it down a little or like mentioned trying two passes (a PIA to set pressure on though)