jskwarek

Help with Oracal Etched Glass 8510

Doing a little art project, this is the first time I've used the Oracal 8510 etched glass film. Cut just fine and was able to weed it with no issues. However, I cannot get the darn vinyl to stick to the transfer tape. I've tried my RVvinyl as well as som US Cutter paper transfer tape and the letters simply don't want to adhear to the transfer tape and lift off the backer paper.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I would just lay it by hand if it weren't 200 small letters.

TIA, Jason

Are you squeegeeing the front of the tape really good, they laying the tape side down and peeling the backing away?  As you should not be lifting the decal from the backing, You can peel the paper backing right up with the decal doing that.  You always peel the backing away from decal.. Big difference. 

Yes, squeegeeing the heck out of it. Then flipping over and peaking the backing paper away from the transfer paper. I've never had this issue, before but it's becoming very frustrating. I'll keep fighting with it. This is just a pet project but wanted to see how the etched vinyl did as I've got a friend that wants a LOT of it for a new bar he's opening.

Etched glass vinyl requires high tack app tape. I found AT-75 and Maintape GXF101 both pull it well. 

RLA 4076 does a mediocre job and requires a lot of coaxing.

Try to run it hard on the corner of a table and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion on the higher tack tape. I'm going to order some. I finally got my piece done but I almost would have been faster hand laying each letter. It was that difficult. My RTape 4075 was the only thing that would even attempt to lift it.

Jason

I'm actually a proponent of using plastic tapes. However, the etched glass vinyl needs to be transferred using a wet application, which is when paper tape should technically be used.

The 4076 is higher tack than the 4075, but not on order of magnitudes.

If you look at the guide on the bottom, it says to use AT-75 for etched (even though wet application with plastic is more difficult).

http://www.uscutter.com/RTape-Conform-Series-4076-RLA-High-Tack-Application-Tape-with-RLA-100yd

Oracal recommends their HT-55 app tape for use with 8510

• Like 2

I have a small order coming up and he wants the frosted glass look.  I saw the application video that they show with the global map and liked that.  I went to go and order it, and there are 4 color options and coarseness.  I don't know which one I need as they don't state what is shown in the video.  Any help would be appreciated!

IMO, the fine silver tends to look the best. I've got some on hand if you want to farm it out or want me to send you a small piece in a letter.

• Like 1