bbekbekk

Photograph to Vector

I was searching to see if there's maybe a how-to guide or tips/tricks on quickly getting a vector design out of a photograph? I like making custom decals using a picture of something, or maybe someone's pet, but I feel I must have the slowest method ever. I didn't know if there was a faster way (auto tracing never works) instead of hand tracing an image so just figured I'd ask you fine professionals  :D

I use adobe illustrator and LXi master plus (sign warehouse's branded version of FLEXI ).

I generally hand trace. You can edit the pic in PS or Gimp into black and white and then get a decent auto trace sometimes. 

• Like 1

I generally hand trace. You can edit the pic in PS or Gimp into black and white and then get a decent auto trace sometimes. 

Ah yea I do that when I can! :) .. but a lot don't play well haha. I do a lot of hunting related decals, a fun one is making a literal decal of someone's trophy bull or buck with details of antlers, stuff like that (sorry to any vegans etc, I haven't gauged the demographic of the members yet).

I just can't figure out a quick efficient way to do this, so I have to charge a design fee based on how many hours I think for the photo they provide. I'm new to the charging aspect of this all and don't know if it's standard to do that or not but if I'm spending the time I'm not gonna do it for free is my thought... but it would be nice to cut that time lol.

The auto trace tools in vector software I find produce roughly similar results.  However, their interfaces can differ greatly.  This makes one more friendly or intuitive to one individual over another.   In that vein, maybe try Inkscape as it is a free option and just costs time.  Time isn't cheap but sometimes easier to spend than cash.  Perhaps it's interface will mesh with how you work better.  

I agree with Wildgoose that raster manipulation pre-autotrace can improve results a great deal.  Sometimes it is simply converting to black and white.  Sometimes its blurring and or feathering.  Sometimes you can mask the background, invert and do a solid fill then trace that result if it is just the outline of the image you want.

Can you post a few samples of what you are trying to trace?

• Like 1

Can you post a few samples of what you are trying to trace?

See my previous post - if it's okay to post that type of image I'll post the one I'm working on today :) let me know! Like I said, not trying to cause issues with anyone haha.

We just need an image that represents the problem.  If you are meaning a creative commons type file I think that should be fine.  If not, I am sure you can find one with suitable license to illustrate.  If it is a buddies or a customers shot of a buck kill, that should be fine I would imagine.

Yea I just haven't been around long enough to know if hunting photos upset people here or not (mod can please delete if so). That's all I meant, but here's the current picture I was given. It's cut off on the bottom that kind of makes it look funny on a decal but it's a pretty clear photo aside from the face  :lol:

I downloaded inkscape to play with, man the auto trace is pretty dang nice! I'm liking that so far.. but how do I save an editable image? I saved the .svg and wanted to open it up in illustrator (since I'm more familiar with node editing in that) but it doesn't show up.

OMG....My first look at this photo makes me LMAO......  Do you really want to make a decal of a horn in such a position  between the guys legs?  LOL...

• Like 5

OMG....My first look at this photo makes me LMAO......  Do you really want to make a decal of a horn in such a position  between the guys legs?  LOL...

That's super funny! and yep I want to make a decal of the photo he requested, just might be adjusting a lil something something now. 

• Like 1

I was going to remove my statement...LOL,  but now you quoted it..   I'm rolling on the floor.  

• Like 2

Mz Skeeter I swear I was LMAO also and thinking the same thing.

• Like 1

So you want the whole image or just the rack as a cuttable file?

Yea I just haven't been around long enough to know if hunting photos upset people here or not 

We are pretty laid back around here. Heck, they asked me to help out with the mod and I'm a gun toting hick from Idaho. You gotta know I personally have no issues with hunting. My wife won't let me kill the pet rabbit we have out back and make jerky out of him. One of the older kids got him for Christmas from her then boyfriend and he has lived here ever since even though said daughter is off at college. I even offered to send her a piece of the meat! How did I get on this tangent.....

• Like 1

It is hard to get to know people via a forum, but my take is there aren't many queasy, PC, or sensitive types around.  I bet some hunt vegans and put them on the BBQ.

Here I tried some various things to give you some food for thought.  It's kinda large, so a link to the picture instead of inline.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/deer%20horns.png

• Like 1

I downloaded inkscape to play with, man the auto trace is pretty dang nice! I'm liking that so far.. but how do I save an editable image? I saved the .svg and wanted to open it up in illustrator (since I'm more familiar with node editing in that) but it doesn't show up.

It should show up in Illustrator.  If not try saving from Inkscape as EPS, then pull the eps into Illustrator.

It should show up in Illustrator.  If not try saving from Inkscape as EPS, then pull the eps into Illustrator.

I figured out the user error lol, didn't realize there was multiple .SVG formats and just saved it as the first one (inkscape SVG). 

We are pretty laid back around here. Heck, they asked me to help out with the mod and I'm a gun toting hick from Idaho. You gotta know I personally have no issues with hunting. My wife won't let me kill the pet rabbit we have out back and make jerky out of him. One of the older kids got him for Christmas from her then boyfriend and he has lived here ever since even though said daughter is off at college. I even offered to send her a piece of the meat! How did I get on this tangent.....

Haha that's awesome, love it. Well I'm a gun toting hick-chick amateur bowhunter from WA so we'd get along just fine :)

Anyway it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.. so when your daughter is munching on the amazing homemade beef jerky and asks where it came from, well... lol. 

It is hard to get to know people via a forum, but my take is there aren't many queasy, PC, or sensitive types around.  I bet some hunt vegans and put them on the BBQ.

Here I tried some various things to give you some food for thought.  It's kinda large, so a link to the picture instead of inline.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/deer%20horns.png

Yea that's for sure! Definitely didn't want to start off on the wrong foot. I've been reading as much topics as I can since I joined but ya never know.

Oh man that little summary is awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to show what you did for the different effects. 

I was searching to see if there's maybe a how-to guide or tips/tricks on quickly getting a vector design out of a photograph? I like making custom decals using a picture of something, or maybe someone's pet, but I feel I must have the slowest method ever. I didn't know if there was a faster way (auto tracing never works) instead of hand tracing an image so just figured I'd ask you fine professionals  :D

I use adobe illustrator and LXi master plus (sign warehouse's branded version of FLEXI ).

look at this scroll saw pattern making vid

http://software-tips.wonderhowto.com/how-to/create-portrait-scroll-saw-patterns-corel-draw-232822/

• Like 1

I don't have coreldraw but thank you for the link :)

I wasn't completely happy with how it turned out but he was lol. Here's what I ended up with -

post-98088-0-64863300-1464568715_thumb.j

• Like 1

they will get better. He didn't give you an easy photo to start with.