Sign in to follow this  
jderry1978

Siser mask full of red ants!

I got a roll of Siser mask with my new Titan 3 plotter a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't needed to open it. Tonight I was working late in my shop and happened to look up and see a couple of ants on the sealed box, so I swiped them off and more appeared... so my wife and I opened the box to find it full of red ants! They were all between the layers of material and had a full nest happening inside the roll! Is that glue like catnip to them or what? Anybody ever seen this? After we unrolled the material we also found "something" growing on the backing on the material too. Keep in mind, this box has been sealed, taped up completely since I got it. Anybody else ever have this, or have suggestions on how to prevent it???

Ok here the problem you said it was in your shop for a couple of weeks right? Well I know those red ants can get into a thing if they want to, heck my mom use to make Shaum torte and put it in an air tight container and they managed to find their way into for the things growing it could be something the ants dragged in. Then it could be that way from the factory, however if in a shop. And the cardboard gets a little wet from any moister it attracts them for some reason. One thing I want to know, how could you resist not opening a new cutter for weeks? That thing would have been ripped open and set up asap here lol.

• Like 1

Ants will get into anything. You cannot stop them mechanically. I just got done fighting hoards of black ants in my recently renovated abode. I HATE INSECTS. I actually caulked the top and bottom seams along the floor and ceiling behind my molding and foamed all holes for PEX etc.

They still got in.......

Fight chemically. If you see some inside, use Terro Liquid baits ($5 for 4 @ walmart). They form disgusting hoard trails to the baits and then are all dead in a few days including the queen.

Then spray around your foundation with this: http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/termidor-sc

I spread granules on my lawn as well.

Now my home is my fortress. No more f'ckn ants. None at all

• Like 3

oh, I opened the cutter right away. but had so many banners to do, that I didn't open the heat transfer tape. it's actually a 12ft by 32ft wood portable building I bought. when we first got the building, we sprayed the inside and around the outside perimeter. these are the first insects we have seen other then the occasional mosquito. I also had the box laying up in the loft. will definitely look into the granules to spread around the outside