j_whitney

Import PDF and get an extra "bounding box"

Sometimes I create PDFs in AutoCAD  from drawings and import them into Sure Cuts A Lot, and even though it is not visible on the  SCAL screen, there will be a bounding box around the graphic.

I have tried creating the PDF from both model space and paper space with the same issue.  Does not happen all the time, and I cannot see any difference in what I am doing.

Another issue I had over the weekend was scaling text.  I created a sign (using AmarilloUSAF.ttf font) - as you start adding letters, they come in at 1" high.  After I finish the text I try to scale the text to 7" and it often will not change - or else I have to change it incrementally - from 1" to 3", to 6" to 7".  A couple of times it would not scale at all.  Any suggestions?

I don't have SCAL, but if you post one of the pdf's maybe I or someone can see something fishy.

PDF attached

Part of the tracking issue may be that I was testing on paper - when I did a short cut yesterday on vinyl there did not seem to be any big tracking issue.

Be that as it may - I took this long PDF and split it into the 4 words, with registration marks - will cut those tonight

usaf-t2g.pdf

Why not just create the text in Scalp and cut it?   Your creating extra work..  Seriously,it's UNITED STATES AIR FORCE.

Does this file exhibit the invisible behavior?  I see nothing obvious.  The doc size is 108" x 12".  The graphic size is 102" x 6".  There is no test, just paths/curves with a stroke of 1.8 points.  Individual letters are 6" tall.    

yep, when I ran a test plot, after all the text was plotted it came back and drew a rectangle literally 0 offset around the entire text.

One other issue - maybe SCALP-related - I could not find a way to put a space between the words without making them separate groups.  Maybe font related too - there was not empty/space box.  Using AmarilloUSAF.ttf

You can only type spaces in text.  Once text is converted to objects/paths/curves it is no longer text.  When they are objects you have to drag to re-position.  MzSkeeter's idea is the best.  Just type it in SCALP instead of recreating in another program.  Then it is text and editable as text.  Other than that, look carefully at the export option in the software you are exporting from.  See if it has options to embed fonts vs convert to curves.  See if it has different postscript levels, like 2 and 3.  Check scalps import options, if any for pdf.  Some option somewhere to treat the bounding box differently might help.

I guess I don't understand everything I know about SCALP - I was dragging the text in from the palette and it would not allow for a space.  When I get home tonight I will try to find another method of entering text.  Thanks for the pointer! 

Use the TEXT tool in Scalp and just type it out..  That is what the TEXT tool is for...no reason to import from another program, when it is right there in SCALP,  There are many, many tutorials for SCALP.      They also have their own forum....Learn the software.....Craftedge.com       also youtube.com    I haven't messed with SCALP for a long time,,,,,but most software has HELP at the top of the layout screen..Help topics,.  Look for creating text...

Use the TEXT tool in Scalp and just type it out..  That is what the TEXT tool is for...no reason to import from another program, when it is right there in SCALP,  There are many, many tutorials for SCALP.      They also have their own forum....Learn the software.....Craftedge.com       also youtube.com    I haven't messed with SCALP for a long time,,,,,but most software has HELP at the top of the layout screen..Help topics,.  Look for creating text...

Tonight . . . 

In addition to all this, it is a military font that has specific parameters.  Stroke is 1/6 of height.  Space between characters is 1/6 height.  Space between words is 3xStroke.

Characters are essentially square with chamfered corners (for rounded characters like O D R etc.) and the chamfer is 45 degrees.  The Navy font is very similar, but the chamfer is 30 degrees.

The attached PDF shows the specifics of how the text is to be laid out, I will search out the text entry method tonight and see if it will actually output the correct spacings.

Dragging it in from the palette does work, but has to be done with each word as a separate group and dragged to the correct location.

text.pdf

If you are needing a "professional cutting/design software",  then you may need to purchase that, with all the bells and whistles  .,Scalp is considered HOBBY software..Crafts...Starter software...Look into the Vinyl Master high end,  or Flexi high end software..with all the bells and whistles.   .You might even try the Signcut trial  or Vinyl Master trial.