Sign in to follow this  
jimmyngo07

copam 4050 windows 8???

I'm trying to cut a design from I think windows 8 and the sign blazers elements can't initiate device?

I went to download a driver and I can't find one for windows 8???

yup - copam was designed about 14 years ago with little change and I don't think any new drivers since 7 - very solid machines though

Copam's still have drivers up to and including Windows 10 both in 32bit or 64bit, you just need to know where to get them: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

And specifically here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm I believe you'll be using the Virtual Com Port drivers (they include both in their packages however). It's confusing...look in the COMMENTS section and click on the link (words) saying SETUP EXECUTABLE to download them. Otherwise you have to unpack the drivers and install them yourself and you need some computer savvy skills to do it. The setup executable unpacks the drivers and installs them in one go.

This is an excerpt from their ReadMe.doc file

FTDI’s CDM drivers provide both D2XX and VCP functionality through a single driver package on PCs running the following Windows operating systems:

• Windows 10

• Windows 10 x64

• Windows 8.1

• Windows 8.1 x64

• Windows Server 2012

• Windows 8

• Windows 8 x64

• Windows Server 2008 R2

• Windows 7

• Windows 7 x64

• Windows Server 2008

• Windows Server 2008 x64

• Windows Vista

• Windows Vista x64

• Windows Server 2003

• Windows Server 2003 x64

• Windows XP

• Windows XP x64

You can then continue to follow along with USCutter's installation instructions after you download and install the most recent drivers I list above to get SignBlazer to work with the Copam. I have a CP-2500 and have it working fine (I have it working with a Keyspan USB to serial adapter AND normal USB). I have tested it to work with Signblazer Elements, SignGo 1.20, SignTools 4, SignCut 1.96, Sure Cuts a Lot Pro 4 and FlexiSign Pro 8.6v2.

One thing to watch out for is your COM ports may get used up quite quickly messing around with software installations. There are ways to remove the COM ports on Windows 7 but it's not exactly straight forward or easy. I don't know how to do this on Windows 8 because I don't use it. I use Windows 7 64-bit.

One thing to note is if you're using a Keyspan USB to serial adapter, the serial cable has to be a straight through cable with Female/Female ends and NOT a null modem cable to work with the Copams. Trust me, I had to find this out the hard way with two trips to the computer store, hours wasted and lots of frustration later...