Primal Decals

Proper sign material ?

Is MDO Papered a good material for signage? it will be fully painted all around. Or do i need a better quality, This wll be the first sign i have to buy.Usually the customer gets them already and paints them,now i need to do one ,Dont want to mess it up lol.. Thank you in advanced Buddies..

I don't know about the "Papered" part. I buy MDO from a couple different sign supply shops in town. There has to be one or two in your area too I would think. We have a Denco Sales and a Sun Supply in our area. Both offer all sorts of substrates at reasonable prices. I usually buy the pre-painted sheets that are ready to go. 

• Like 1

I don't know about the "Papered" part. I buy MDO from a couple different sign supply shops in town. There has to be one or two in your area too I would think. We have a Denco Sales and a Sun Supply in our area. Both offer all sorts of substrates at reasonable prices. I usually buy the pre-painted sheets that are ready to go. 

Thanks Goose, we dont have any supply places around here like that.Everything i get is from out of town,Even the local shops snarl at you ,so Uscutter has been the only place i use or fellers .Not even home depot sale that stuff here. The MDO im talking about has a super smooth surface that looks like paper but its not. The one shop i was going to used to be friendly with me for the past year of getting things but now i get attitude.

Oh what is the best stuff for covering the edges of the sign? like a edge guard or something,I dont know whats it called lol.

What application is this sign for? Some shops run a piece of white plastic around the edges and glue it on with silicone. If I am using MDO I just run the silicone and slick it off with my finger to seal the edge.  The plastic looks good new if the corners are cut correctly but if they handle the sign it ends up beat up and looking bad so I have ever used it. I think Fellers is a supply shop similar to the two I mentioned although there are none in my neck of the woods. Are you planning on painting that MDO or covering it with vinyl? 

• Like 1

it will be mounted outside on posts. sign will be a 4x8 .with lettering on one side only.Yes fully painting it and then using  oracal 751 .. I am doing the handling of install as well.

That's a lot of work. If it's white I would try and locate some pre-painted and save yourself the trouble and cure time. 

• Like 1

That's a lot of work. If it's white I would try and locate some pre-painted and save yourself the trouble and cure time. 

ya. ill see what i can find..Thanks buddy. what thickness do you suggest? 3/4?

I use 1/2" most of the time although it is more prone to warping in the middle.I have sometimes added a couple stiffeners between the posts to help combat this if it's going to be up there a long time. Most plywood signs are fairly short term.