rebjr

Contour Cutting with the Laser Point ..

I'm seeing a lot of use with the laser point, but all appears to be using it for normal cutter operations.

Is anybody out there using the contour cutting feature?

I bought mine for the purpose of dark t-shirt transfers, and intend to branch out to short run decals.

I'd like to see some more work that was contour cut, and some info on how folks set-up there machines to get them dialed in and cutting tight.

I would also be interested in this -- I have read all the forums on this subject, but still can't get mine to work properly!!  ;D

I tried a bunch of stuff today, all to no avail. I can get close, but no matter what I am doing the cut is offset. But, it is consistent, so I measured the offset and reset my guidelines to compensate .. it was still off the same way.

I know that it will work. In theory you could contour cut without the laser eye, the eye just makes it a whole bunch better. And, you can align it super fast, and dead on. My problem comes when I go to do the cut. And, it tracks the same no matter the pen or the blade.

But, you keep trying and I'll keep trying and sooner or later we'll hit it, or somebody else will. I am sure that it is something very simple. It always is.

Eric,

I am using Sign Cut at present, I have SBE and have loaded it up, but one look at it and I figured that the learning curve for SC would be easier. And, as I've seen little to point me to either over the other, so far on the forum.

I looked at SBE for a few minutes this afternoon, and I couldn't find anything that had to do with contour cutting in the controls.

I finally got it working the other day, what are you trying to cut (text or a jpg) and what point are you getting stuck?

Wayne

Hay Wayne -- I have been trying to work with either jpgs or bmp and cannot get it to work properly.

I am using SBE and I have the printing down with registration marks, but either it wont cut or when it does it is offset either to the right (while looking from the front of the cutter) or below the image -- both are only off by 1/8".

This is very maddening as I want it to work!!!! 

Wayne,

I am trying to contour cut. So, letters or bitmaps don't matter. I am trying to follow a contour line, saved as .ai . I am able to dial in the registration marks, but it cuts shifting about 1/8" to the rear and 3/16" to the left.

Just cutting vinyl is no problem it cuts like any other cutter. It is the contour cutting aspect that I am trying to make work, after all that is the ONLY reason I bought it. Not in the sign bidness, don't intend to be in the sign bidness. Bought this thing to emulate die cutting, and so far I can't get it to work.

Have a few (very few) folks who have said they cut printed decals with it, But, so far nobody is giving up any "secrets" or posting any pictures.

So, for those of us who can't get the LP24 to contour cut, would some of you folks who say that you cut printed items with it PLEASE post us who can't get it to work please post some facts and figures.

Any and all help concerning CONTOUR CUTTING with the LP24 will be more than appreciated.

Rebjar,

The problem with trying to explain (IMO) is there are so many ways to go about doing it.

It depends on your needs.

I will give a few exp.

Say you have some round logos. Take the ford emblem.

All you would do is import the jpg.  Then draw an oval and transform the shape till you get it the size of the outside edge of the ford emblem.

After that you could arrange the oval to the back of the layers which would allow for you to see the jpg image over top of it.

Select all and then array the image left and right till you fill in your sticker stock paper.

Now print with reg marks.

When that is done go back and delete each jpg image.

As you delete each image you should see the oval you drew earlier.

Delete the rest of the jpg images and you should be left with nothing but ovals.

Now select all your ovals and then choose cutting mask or tracing.

You should now see just lines around the oval shape and no center color.

At this point you should choose to Cut the Print (Your not using SB so it maybe labeled differently)

Stick your printed sticker paper in and align the very first reg mark on the laser by hand, getting it perfectly square/dead center.

Then choose cut and you should be asked to jog the to the first reg mark by using the Keyboard.

Do not do this since you have already done the first reg mark by hand, simply click next.

After that it will ask you to jog to the next reg mark.

In SB you use the NUM lock keys and if it moves to far each time you press the key you hit 5 in the center to make it take micro steps.

At any rate jog the cut head till you get it lined up perfectly.

Now on the pc click ok.

Then click cut.

This is just one way to do it.

Most times I pre draw my contours in AI using offset paths and shapes tools.Many time I have logo character (I use offset path to put a boarder around those) with text (I typically draw using the shape tool around text). I overlay the shaped box, square etc over the offset path and merge. I remove any paths in the center that might get cutout that I do not want to have to weed. Then I group the logo (Which is what will be printed) and I group the shape (the offset and drawn shape that

Hay Wayne -- I have been trying to work with either jpgs or bmp and cannot get it to work properly.

I am using SBE and I have the printing down with registration marks, but either it wont cut or when it does it is offset either to the right (while looking from the front of the cutter) or below the image -- both are only off by 1/8".

This is very maddening as I want it to work!!!! 

Rebjr and SmallSigns:

I know its frustrating, BELIEVE ME. I will try to do a tutorial in the screencapture utility, ASAP. In a nutshell what I do is draw a line manually around the design in SBE then go up to the manipulate menu and click cut mask on then cut making sure of two things:

1. make sure you align the laser to the DEAD center of the reg. mark

2. make sure your vinyl is 100% straight, you will know it is after you align your first mark with the laser then go to align the second mark, If you dont have to move the vinyl up or down to line up the second mark then your vinyl is straight! If you have to jog it up or down dont bother cutting cause its not straight.

Let me know how it turns out :thumbsup:

If anyone thinks this theory is wrong please let me know, I dont want to be handing out wrong information. These are just observations of mine

Thanks to both of you for your input -- I hope to be able to try this later today.

I know this is not rocket science and I WILL get it figured out -- as soon as I do I will be posting some of my work on the forum for all to see.

Good I hope it all works out, definitely let us know..

It definitely took me a while to get my head around it.

Wayne

Eric,

OK, some good points here. But, form what I am reading most folks are not questioning the setting up of the contour line. The problem is once that is done, once the contour is completed and all you are sending to the cutter is the contour itself, that is where we are having problems.

The LP24 just does not follow the path that is sent. I have, as several others have remarked, set up a contour, aligned registration marks dead on, and still have not been able to get it to cut the desired path. It cuts consistently, I will give it that, about 1.8" to the rear and 3/16" to the right. I thought, ok, I'll trick it .. I set it up such that my registration karks were off 1/8" and 3/16th accordingly and guess what? It still cut about 1/8th back and 3/16th right. Arrrggghhhhhhh.

One thing that I have noted is that you are doing all of your work in SBE, which includes printing your image from the SBE control panel. That may be a crucial point. But, the allowance for color profiles may then be affected. I'll cross that bridge later. You've given food for thought. Thanks.

Post some picks of your work, I know that I'm not the only one who would be interested.

Bob

I will be anxiously awaiting your post ........

^^ Thats so cool i can't wait until my LP24 gets here.Im trying to be  patient it should come on wed anyway what brand of media  do you use for those?

Eric,

You just made my day! I knew it could be done, now I KNOW it can be done. Just a matter of me getting my s@*^ together.

Are you using serial or usb?

Have youe done any contour cutting where you created the contour in another program and imported it into SBE? I noted in your earlier post where you said you were sending to the printer, and creating the contour, all within SBE. I have a lot of artwork that I created in Corel, and have created my contours there as well. I have been importing to signcut, without success.

I did import an 8" ai outline file into SBE earlier today, and I sent it to my printer and it printed it at a fraction of the size, which thru me a loop.

You definately have proven it works, and it's good to see something done on the LP24 beyond standard vinyl cutting.

Thanks,

Bob

^^ Thats so cool i can't wait until my LP24 gets here.Im trying to be  patient it should come on wed anyway what brand of media  do you use for those?

Hi Swanee,

I am simply using Avery Sticker paper. (Can be purchased at Staples etc.)

After Print I lay some clear Vinyl over the paper to protect the Toner and to give it that printed Vinyl look.

Because the blade is setup for vinyl depth I have to cut it twice to get it to cut through the vinyl and sticker paper.

If I was not lazy I would adjust the blade each time but after it cut the first time I just check to see if it will pill nicely and if it doesn

I use serial, USB is a pc resource hog and tends to cause issues unless you have one kick arse pc. Well over more than typical specs.

Since going serial I have had zero issues.

I don

Eric,

OK, I am seriously trying to grasp SBE. I have imported a contour image (ai) into SBE and have it on the board. I can do the mask, but when I tell it to "cut a print" it tells me that I do not have the information needed to cut a print. I can visually see the lines that I have laid out as a contour. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Bob

Uh ... mmmm ... ok ..... another brick in the wall.

This is gonna drive me to an early grave.

The stuff I do is color specific with PMS matches being the norm. I have calibrated my printers to Corel 12, and have specific profiles that I have paid some pretty hard dollars for to ensure that when I do something it matches the customers, and my, requirements. I also use other print facilities not at my locations.

Having experience with the Roland I knew that I wasn't going to get what they offered with the LP24, but I didn't realize that I was going to be faced with the limitations that the LP24 has.

Well, I guess that I will print some stuff thru SBE tomorrow and see what the color genie says. Oh well. I'm getting closer thanks to you Eric.

Now, do I have to create the contour lines in SBE as well, or can I import them along with the original artwork?

Well though you are limited to not being able to print direct from Corel, your biggest limitation is your software if your having color issues.

Maybe you should step up to flexi.

What software did you purchase to calibrate your print out.

Eric