Ravenwind / One Off Grafx

Sand blasting/etching

What do any of you use to etch on the glass. I want to order some more media but there are so many grits out there. i have a air eraser and a new blasting cabinet. the eraser seams to work and the media is fine grain. Was thinking about going with a 220 but i want to try to get a good deep etch without ripping the mask apart. Going to do more dollar store mugs for a fund raiser.

You will have to use the 220 in your air eraser , Well that's what I get the best results with mine.....The cabinet though you can go coarser.....I'm using 150 grit White Aluminum Oxide in my cabinet and I am really liking the results....Etches Glass easily and leaves a great finish

post-92305-0-55977700-1456100997_thumb.j

• Like 5

I use the spray nozzle that came with my cabinet and use 80 - Black Diamond from TSC. I use different pressures based on thickness and compositions of the glasses. Pressure for fine detail on the Riedels took a minute to regulate but well worth it.  I use scrap 651 for mask, never had an issue other than forgetting to monitor pressure.

• Like 1

I run 120 grit crushed porcelain I found locally. It breaks down over time so it's probably more like 150-180 by now. I have some 80 grit from HF but it's a little too course for my taste and the black seems to somehow transfer onto the glass or other articles so I went with white porcelain. 

I sure wish I could get my hands on some of that porcelain here.....They have a website Wildgoose? Might check on getting some shipped

I'll look and see if I can find something for you. 

I've been using 180 grit A/O that I bought on eBay with my air eraser with scrap Oracal 631 and it works fine.  Lately I've been etching a lot of stainless steel and the end product looks great.  I think the sellers name is "abrasive armory" or something similar.  I'm down to about 3 pounds, so I'll be ordering more soon.  Once I go through this next batch, I plan on sifting it through a screen and reusing it.

post-96596-0-84607700-1456276911_thumb.j

Here is the website for the guys in my home town. I bought a pail of the "White Lightening" I think it was 100 grit (I originally thought it was 120 but I don't see that offered so it must be 100.)

http://www.enviroabrasives.com

• Like 1