Sign in to follow this  
jdmarti1

Finally an introduction from an Okie!

I have been around here lurking for a few years.  Lot's of research, and then I ended up buying almost everything used - LOL.  I have purchased a Graphtec CE5000-120, Epilog Legend 24TT Laser Engraver, Hotronix 16x20, and Knight 16 heatpresses - all of that used.  I ordered a CobraInk dye sub, and pigment printer - plus the cool automatic mug press that was shown in the forum.  I have started using the laser engraver, and have made a coffee mug with the printer and mug press.  The vinyl cutter is being a pain in my rear.  I have to get used to making things for it and sending stuff from Corel to it.  I have an old version of Corel - X5, and I can kind of get around.  I used to use Corel back in the old days - like version 3 days.  So the rust is coming off, and I am remembering things.  All of this is for my wife, so I get to teach her Corel.  I want to thank everybody that answered my questions, and help me get her to the point we are.  Expect even more questions, and hopefully I won't be to dumb.  Maybe some day I will be able to return the favor.

Welcome from Idaho! Your cutter may be used but it's a good one and as long as it has been taken care of will give you many years of service. Same with the Hotronix and Knight presses. There is definitely a learning curve on the design end and it's pretty specific to vinyl cutting but not rocket science. I am not a Corel user but there are several on the forum who will help you out if you get stuck with a problem. 

Hello and Welcome.  You bought used and saved a ton of money.  You've  got some good quality items that will last.

I almost bought new, but just kept looking at used as a better alternative.  I was going to buy a Summa, but decided the price just didn't justify itself.  Then I moved to FC8600, but negotiated a great price on the CE5000.  A car dealership quit cutting their own window tint.  It had sat for 2 years.  They wanted $1,500 - but I made them see the error of their ways - LOL.  I figured of she uses it enough to pay for a new one, then by all means I will get her one.  I was planning on buying a Chinese laser engraver, and importing it directly.  The Epilog is old as dirt, but Epilog still makes parts.  The thing will engrave every bit as well as a new Chinese one, and I spent less that half of a new one from China.  The tube will die sooner than later, but when it does - I will replace it.  The tubes last  much longer on the Epilog than on the Chinese machines - so I feel pretty good about it.  Epilog told me if it would demo, I should feel safe buying it.  I only found one other of this model for sale - and it was $1,500 more than I was paying.  I felt pretty good at that point.  Heat presses were the same thing - the Hotronix STX-20 was almost new, and I negotiated the guy down to a couple of hundred less than I had ever seen them anywhere used.  The Knight DK16 was about what I would pay for a new cheap one.  It looked great, and reading about the Knight, I didn't think I could go wrong.  I was able to get into everything she wanted to do, minus the 3D printer - at a really good price.  I also looked at it as if somehow she failed, or decided this wasn't for her - I could sell things at a very minimal loss, if any at all.  LOL

• Like 1