I've always wanted to have a custom shirt shop and I would love some input from anyone that works specifically with vinyl. I'm literally starting from scratch. I need to get a solid vinyl cutter w/ software compatible with my Mac. Reliable and precise and I'm willing to invest as I know you get what you pay for. Also, the reason I was going to focus on vinyl heat transfers only is because I don't want to worry about ink fading. Any ideas, suggestions or comments are appreaciated. I was looking at purchasing the Titan 3 but then again, I've just begun doing research on heat presses and vinyl. Warranty, repair fees and maintentance are things I still have to look into as well.

Glad to be a part of this forum, thanks again!

Side Note: I'm a new dad and my son turned 1 year old this year and I'm the only one working since my wife recently lost her job. Being able to earn that extra income for my family is what is driving me to make this buisness a success....

- Rick

post-96785-0-17879500-1450480067_thumb.j

You are looking at least $10 grand 

Titan only cuts, you are looking at prints.

I think the picture is an ultrasound of his kid. From what i read, he just wants to do solid color heat transfer vinyl.

Im also a dj and i started from scratch and i can tell you this business is just like djing.You need want the best equipment. You have to learn learn and learn. You say you want to only do vinyl but believe me thats not where is go stop. When you get them orders of 200 and 500 or more tshirts you not go wanna be weeding that many shirts. I started silkscreening then started doing decals then. Found this site and started doing htv. Then i started getting a few big orders and turned back to silkscreen cuz its things that htv can't do. You mentioned ink fading but that's not true.im about $10k in silkscreen equipment only. Having a tshirt business you're going to get people that want silkscreen and not vinyl or you will want to do so designs that requires more detail. You could order plastisol but if your like me as a dj your going to want to do it yourself. Just get ready to be amazed. One more thing be ready to look at the tshirt world in a different way.

I think the picture is an ultrasound of his kid. From what i read, he just wants to do solid color heat transfer vinyl.

Yes that is the ultrasound of my son lol good eye. I added the hat and scarf since it was freezing in Chicago when I got that pic. I got in contact with a local equipment dealer that is offering a great deal on a Roland BN-20 printer/cutter. I would of course purchase a heatpress machine apart. Would that be a good start as it does give me other options if I decide to do other projects?

Im also a dj and i started from scratch and i can tell you this business is just like djing.You need want the best equipment. You have to learn learn and learn. You say you want to only do vinyl but believe me thats not where is go stop. When you get them orders of 200 and 500 or more tshirts you not go wanna be weeding that many shirts. I started silkscreening then started doing decals then. Found this site and started doing htv. Then i started getting a few big orders and turned back to silkscreen cuz its things that htv can't do. You mentioned ink fading but that's not true.im about $10k in silkscreen equipment only. Having a tshirt business you're going to get people that want silkscreen and not vinyl or you will want to do so designs that requires more detail. You could order plastisol but if your like me as a dj your going to want to do it yourself. Just get ready to be amazed. One more thing be ready to look at the tshirt world in a different way.

haha I was afraid someone might say that. I'm upgrading my DJ equipment every 3 years or so when I see something fun and new I'd like to work with!  Thanks for the feedback bud!

If I do decide to go with that Roland printer/cutter, aside from weeding tools, rulers and vinyl and heat transfer paper, is there anything else that may be crucial to getting started? Also I should mention I have a iMac and Macbook pro and it seems the software offered with that Roland model may be windows only so I might have to get a separate laptop to run the software. 

bransoning, please cease reviving old threads with comments that add nothing to the overall discussions.

Go to the "Introductions" section and post something about yourself, OK? As a newbie, it's always the courteous thing to do.