Dwild

Lets talk sales....

So I have got a few jobs since I've got my press and cutter but my sales are far and few as of right now.  I am definitely wanting to venture out unto etsy due to the daily traffic that goes on that site.  My only concern is should I niche and target something small or should I target everything I can in the world of vinyl?  

Who knows you exist?

Is your Facebook page active?

Do you hand out business cards?

Have you approached local businesses?

@Dwild - I have an etsy page myself for my tshirts. I was thinking the same as you but just started off doing tees until my sales pick up.

You can always categorize your different items which makes it not look like a mess in your shop.

It took a few months to get my first sale so dont get discouraged. My best month I made a little over $1,700.

Go for it and good luck!!

find a niche that you can make a wage at - if you sell the same things at the other thousands of people that bought value cutters and presses you will be competing on price alone.  if everyone is selling the same thing prices drop to just over material cost

My favorite Etsy store is, ROUFE

OK so I just had to look it up.... Yep it's now my favorite shop also...

It seems so easy to sell broadly on etsy though, list everything under the sun and even for personalized/custom stuff and sell!

Obviously that is not the case though right? If a niche is the only way to become profitable on these online marketplaces what's the best way to come up with a niche? I feel out of my element when thinking of potential niche markets on etsy due to the majority of etsy shoppers being female. If that is not the case I apologize but that is the feel I get from etsy.

I'm not asking for anyone to give away secrets I'm just wondering how do you stumble upon niches and is it the only way to go?

Havent broken down the sales between Etsy and Ebay but if I had to guess its about a 4 sales on ebay to 1 on etsy.

I had similar thoughts about it mainly being females which I still think it is, but they are buying shirts for their boyfriends, husbands, kids, etc. I get quite a few messages asking about ETA's because they need it as a gift.

I say go for a niche market. Do something with very little competition and you constantly find yourself with many sales. Be creative and have fun with it. That's how I got started. Moreso a hobby that has grown into keeping me really busy on the weekends lol. Also you may find yourself with repeat customers and those are the best for "word of mouth" sales. I don't use etsy however. Just instagram and a facebook page. I "advertise" within relevant facebook groups for social marketing and always seem to get "shoutouts" on instagram from happy customers as well. Built my page last year and has grown to 2k+ followers and have not spent a dime for advertising. 

• Like 2

I guess I got lucky.  When I bought my startup package (cutter press and some vinyl)  I was doing it because I wanted to make stuff for ME!  I like wearing custom shirts and when I have something I want to say to the world I just want to put it on a shirt and walk around.  That being said,  My main goal was to start selling a few things here and there, to make some profit.... just enough to cover all MY expenses so I could play and have all  MY stuff be free.

I was a little nervous wondering the same thing.  How am I going to sell stuff... and what and where and how.  It turns out, if you do shirts.....your gold!  I originally started out thinking I was going to do signs and banners..... wrong.  I have done my share of those for sure, but once folks found out I could do shirts it was like lighting a fuse.

I have never used Etsy or Ebay to try and sell.  I have never set up anywhere like a flea market or anything.  

I got some business cards and some custom pens and started passing some out around town.  (Mostly pushing my signs, banners and window decals)  not much happened.  I make a accidental contact by a friend introducing me to a friend that was buying a business that had been run down for years.  Turns out he liked signs and I went from personal hobby to full time sign shop.  He kept me pretty much busy full time for about two years!  Once he found out I did shirts too.... he has bought hundreds of shirts, hats, hoodies.... you name it.

Any way, while that was happening I started experimenting with other business's and individuals (since i was now actually starting to have some kind of inventory)  I would just sometimes make up a freebie for someone here and there.  A custom coffee cup for the local cafe with their logo, a "parent shirt" for a mom on my daughters softball team, a ball cap for the guy the runs the tackle store etc.  It didn't take long for those folks to start ordering and spreading the word.  I was still kind of new to all this and was so busy I couldn't keep up.  I finally had to (on several occasions) just turn some jobs away.

So now, when I start seeing a light at the end of a tunnel, I just make up a freebie for someone and kick start my self again.

By doing this I have noticed kind of what works for me here,  I now have a mental list of places and items for use in the future.

I found the biggest thing for me is to make those contacts with moms for shirts.  People want shirts for everything!  Wedding parties, birthdays, gag gifts, family reunions, recreational sports (parent shirts to help support their kid) vacations and the list goes on and on.

There are about 6 places in my small town of 5000 that do shirts.  3 are actual store fronts and the other 3 are home based and I am still to busy for my own good.

I am not sharing this to brag in any way, the point I am trying to make is sometimes people when they first start try and over think it.  Kind of panic that they made a mistake spending all that money on this stuff.  Here's my suggestion.... don't panic.  First, get familiar with your equipment and learn that software quickly!  Learn how to do your own work.... it's really not that hard, especially with all the help on this forum!  Then just try and make a few contacts.  Be strategic.... What are you wanting to sell and who/what in town is your main target..... some freebies!  If you aren't set up for shirts..... you might want to consider it..... it is steady work once the word gets around.... Trust me!!

Good Luck!

• Like 3

Obviously that is not the case though right? If a niche is the only way to become profitable on these online marketplaces what's the best way to come up with a niche? I feel out of my element when thinking of potential niche markets on etsy due to the majority of etsy shoppers being female. If that is not the case I apologize but that is the feel I get from etsy.

Try thinking local instead of online.  Local school clubs, cheerleaders, athletics, police, fire and rescue.   Also, reunions, weddings, churches, parties, spring feast, October feast, and youth groups.  Local business often like caps for their employees with their logo's.  Many would provide free T's with their logo's to their employees to wear to work.  Local politicians can be lucrative, though only around elections.  Remember too the limits of vinyl.  It's not well suited to large runs.  So have some outsourced solutions ready.  For those large runs, your design skills will be called upon.  You will be a local source for coming up with the designs.

• Like 1