Dwild

Under valuing the industry?

Just found out from a buddy of mine that a local vinyl tshirt shop charges $14 for 1 side of a shirt and $14 for front and back? How can they not be bankrupt?

I'm at $14 for one side and $1448 for front and back and people act like I'm price gouging.

Anyone else have this issue?

Just found out from a buddy of mine that a local vinyl tshirt shop charges $14 for 1 side of a shirt and $14 for front and back? How can they not be bankrupt?

I'm at $14 for one side and $1448 for front and back and people act like I'm price gouging.

I would say $1448 is a bit on the high side..  How many buyers pay that? :rolleyes:   Maybe you forgot that dot.  And it was $14.48?   :lol:

• Like 1

I hate it when a rant goes bad... send is always the best spell check   B)

• Like 1

Well, if they're losing money just wait them out until they go bankrupt and buy all their inventory and equipment at auction prices.  That's how I got most of my stuff.  And yes, this happens all over place since the cost and learning curve to enter the industry is fairly small there are plenty of fly by night operations that crop up and then go out of business shortly after.  For that reason, most people who get into this business are just not good business people and therefore don't last long.  I stopped buying new equipment several years ago, there's plenty on craigslist and e-bay. 

• Like 1

Lol I meant $14.00 idk what happened there. They are the only shop around and have been in business for 20 years. I really don't see how they're keeping the lights on.

So, they, and you, charge the same price for just the front of a shirt, and or the back?  I read that as 14 for front and 14 for front and back.... so the back is free?

I am confused.... sorry

• Like 2

So, they, and you, charge the same price for just the front of a shirt, and or the back?  I read that as 14 for front and 14 for front and back.... so the back is free?

I am confused.... sorry

I was wondering the same...

• Like 1

Bet there doing silkscreen and not vinyl. they been in business for 20 yrs so they know what there doing.

They probably buy larger quantities and get better pricing on garments and HTV than you do. Every minute they aren't producing a job they are losing money instead of making money.

To compete I'd have to be at a little over a 65% markup.... I guess I'd rather sell more at less profit because I will stay busier. I definitely like to stay busy.

I had to explain this to my fiancee a few days ago.  

I'm looking to produce a product on Esty.    There are 2 competing shops.   

Shop number 1 sells his product for $50.  He has sold 1000 items from his shop in the last year.   Total Made = $50,000

Shop number 2 sells a similar item for $15.  He has sold 4000 items in the last year.                      Total made = $60,000

I asked her which person would you rather be?    She didn't get it. All she could see was the end result and how Shop #2 made $60,000.  

I had to explain to her how Shop #1 really made more money (because everyone knows Time=Money) because they put in 1/4 the work compared to shop #2.   

I want to work smarter,  not harder.

I want to be Shop #1 because when compared to shop#2 that frees up 3/4 more time to develop and produce another hot selling item.   

• Like 3

If you are too busy you are not charging enough. BTW I'm going up first of the year, again...

• Like 1

If you are too busy you are not charging enough. BTW I'm going up first of the year, again...

Ditto, I am busier than I want to be and have tried to turn people away when they call explaining that I am busy and they would have to wait awhile for their order..... they always choose to wait.  Time to up the prices!  I will get more free time one way or another!!

• Like 1

I had to explain this to my fiancee a few days ago.  

I'm looking to produce a product on Esty.    There are 2 competing shops.   

Shop number 1 sells his product for $50.  He has sold 1000 items from his shop in the last year.   Total Made = $50,000

Shop number 2 sells a similar item for $15.  He has sold 4000 items in the last year.                      Total made = $60,000

I asked her which person would you rather be?    She didn't get it. All she could see was the end result and how Shop #2 made $60,000.  

I had to explain to her how Shop #1 really made more money (because everyone knows Time=Money) because they put in 1/4 the work compared to shop #2.   

I want to work smarter,  not harder.

I want to be Shop #1 because when compared to shop#2 that frees up 3/4 more time to develop and produce another hot selling item.   

This is gold.  Most people dont understand it.  Now I have been player number 2 in my automotive resale because I am trying to grab business.  I end up devaluing the market, but the problem is unless you are drastically cheaper in that market people just go to the box store instead.. 

I was and am buying into both Screen Printing and Vinyl Stickers and decals this year as a side business.    I always try to explain this idea to my father as well, but he is the guy that buys a Husky Tool from Home Depot (cant think of a low brand) insteadof SnapOn..

When you have 4 times as many customers, what's word of mouth advertising worth?

Project 5 years out, shop number 2 now has 20,000 customers, 300k in sales while shop number 1 has 5k customers and 250k in sales. And that's with no growth due to sales.

But I get why people want to be shop 2, I've all but quit selling small decals, there's no money to be made in them. Yet I keep some on ebay and etsy because it's a gateway to similar items, and it's cheap advertising. I get people that buy decals and shirts all the time in the same order. Work hard to get a large customer base while providing a top quality product and get repeat customers for life. They'll tell their friends and the cycle will continue, slowly raise your prices and your customers will understand the quality of the product they are getting is worth the cost.

snip... I always try to explain this idea to my father as well, but he is the guy that buys a Husky Tool from Home Depot (cant think of a low brand) insteadof SnapOn..

Your dad sounds like a smart man.