Corndog

What's your prefered software and why?

I recently obtained the entry-level version of VinylMasterCUT.

It's very well-developed for design and cut, without any need for external programs.

Also it does vectorization from images.

I also appreciate the text-handling capabilities.

Installing VM with the correct cutter drivers was seamless, and I had my first cut accomplished within 2 minutes.

Corel Draw.  Mostly because of familiarity.  However, it just seems faster to get things done.  I haven't used the new Illustrator.  But CS6 was tedious to do tasks.  Maybe things have changed.  Not that it couldn't do the task, it just took many more mouse clicks.  Sometimes I go to Inkscape for a particular thing.  I don't do much raster.  I use Gimp at times to change white balance in photos, but rarely.  

I use Signcut Pro to cut.  It just cuts, little design.  It has good ability to add weeding lines.

I'm and Illustrator guy and love it but the learning curve is enormous for newbies. The design work done for cutting is relatively simple in regards to the programs overall ability so you are using at best half the actual ability which to me has become rather simple and rarely seems like a lot of work. 

For cutting I also use SignCut Pro. I have tried several other programs but none are as smooth flowing and handy as SignCut. Weeding lines, Cut by color, registration marks if you want them, step-by-step cutting, tiling, nesting, auto advance and return after the job to cut the vinyl off, easy options for repair work, and the absolute best free live tech support in the industry are a few of the reasons why I choose SignCut. Other than very basic straight text there is no design capability but as a strict cutting utility it rocks. Did I mention it is both PC and Mac compatible? 

I've just started a VERY small part-time business out of my home. Started out as just a hobby, and doing a few things for church and civic groups I am involved in. Never intended to go into business, but the requests just keep growing, so figured I needed to make the switch from hobby to business if it was going to take up so much of my time.

I've been using a silhouette cameo 2, but I'm going to have to invest in something better in the near future. I use Photoshop and inkscape right now and import into the silhouette software. I have Illustrator, but have never really used it.

So, what do y'all think would be a good choice for a better cutter for what I have going on? Can't spend $1000s; will need to upgrade in steps over a period of time.

I am fairly familiar with Illustrator and Inkscape.....but CorelDraw is my first choice....

even CorelDraw X4 will do what is needed for designing vectors.  

It's easier to work with and saves your graphics & photos in the file rather

than just link to an outside source.

For cutting you need to transfer the vector (eps) to a cutting program.

Sue2

Edit...I really do not like the Cloud-based monthly "rental" programs that
Adobe and others have started.

I have Corel Draw x3,x6,x7 and Adobe Illustrator CS5. I prefer Corel Draw because it's easier to move around the workspace and zoom with the mouse wheel. Especially if you enable the option to center zoom on mouse.

I've just started a VERY small part-time business out of my home. Started out as just a hobby, and doing a few things for church and civic groups I am involved in. Never intended to go into business, but the requests just keep growing, so figured I needed to make the switch from hobby to business if it was going to take up so much of my time. I've been using a silhouette cameo 2, but I'm going to have to invest in something better in the near future. I use Photoshop and inkscape right now and import into the silhouette software. I have Illustrator, but have never really used it. So, what do y'all think would be a good choice for a better cutter for what I have going on? Can't spend $1000s; will need to upgrade in steps over a period of time.

If you HAVE Illustrator and it's newer than CS2 or CS3 then spend a little time to learn it and it will pay you back over the rest of your lifetime. I have always been surprised by people taking the easy route.  Granted if it's rolled into a combination decision like cost AND learning curve it may then make more sense. You will have a tough time for a while and be frustrated but after the initial pain then it gets easier and eventually you literally will look back and wonder what was so hard.

As far as cutters go I think you would benefit greatly even with a jump to an SC or LP2 over a silhouette. At least you would be able to work with full sized vinyl. 

I use GIMP for creating images, self taught myself on that.  I have Inkscape I'm trying to learn when I have time.  For cutting I use the SCALP3.  Only because It's what came with my cutter bundle.  However, I'm interested in learning more about the Sign Cut Pro program.  Is it more user friendly than the SCALP3?

I'm 100% Illustrator.  I've tried others and don't care for them... not much point in it at this point though, once you know Illy - you're set.  Def not cheap though.  : /

I have a Graphtec and cut out of Illy in "Graphtec Studio" and love, love, love that combo. 

Adobe Creative Cloud...

Not only do I get access to the newest of the new Illustrator but also Photoshop, Indesign, Muse, Fireworks, Flash, Bridge, Premier Pro, After Effects, Dreamweaver....and much more. Plus FREE stock images/vector image library and other member perks. 

I know most people won't have the need for all this but it's great for anybody who doe's graphic design as well as cutting vinyl like I do.

Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice.

Wild goose, I'm not familiar with SC or LP2, sorry to be so dense. Could you please tell me what they are? Yes, I do actually have Illustrator. I have Adobe platinum suite CS4, I think. I have used photoshop and Indesign for probably 10 years, but was producing a small 40 page quarterly magazine for the organization I work for, so the requirements are somewhat different than vinyl work. I just never used Illustrator because PHotoshop and Indesign does everything I need for layout of the magazine . I taught myself Photoshop and Illustrator so I'm pretty sure I can figure out Illustrator too.

Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice. Wild goose, I'm not familiar with SC or LP2, sorry to be so dense. Could you please tell me what they are? Yes, I do actually have Illustrator. I have Adobe platinum suite CS4, I think. I have used photoshop and Indesign for probably 10 years, but was producing a small 40 page quarterly magazine for the organization I work for, so the requirements are somewhat different than vinyl work. I just never used Illustrator because PHotoshop and Indesign does everything I need for layout of the magazine . I taught myself Photoshop and Illustrator so I'm pretty sure I can figure out Illustrator too. Thanks :)

Yeah the SC is the second from the bottom (Bottom is the MH don't buy and MH) in the value cutter selection and the LP2 stands for Laser Point II which is about one more step up the ladder. Sorry, we get sort of a forum lingo going around here and forget that new members have no idea what we are talking about. Illustrator is definitely different than PS but IMO is the best overall design program out there just not that easy to master. The file format for Illustrator (.ai) is one of the most widely accepted file formats for vector art and pretty much if you have aspirations of ever becoming a serious business you would need to be at least proficient in accepting files of this type. Heck if you own it then it's basically a no-brainer to go that route for design and you can choose one of many options for cutting including whatever they sell you with your new cutter. 

WinPCSign Pro

Adobe Illustrator CS 6

Corel X 6

Started with Corel 5 a few years later got WinPCSign and thats been my go to

program I can do any thing Illy or Corel does faster.

Illustrator when needed.

mark-s

Titan 2 28" cutter,Sure cuts alot 4 pro, Ai cc and Ai cs6,Corel X7, Vector magic and Find My Font.  I have been able to do everything ive needed with no flaws ever,Only had to learn how to use them,And still learning everyday(Everyone Will agree on learning everyday no matter what software you have,)

It all comes down to finding the one that works easiest for you learn and use..