Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Hottonix Fusion question

So, Business has been getting pretty good and I think its time for an upgrade

Was thinking of a Hot tronix Fusion 16x20

Fir those that own one..Did you think it was the right choice?  I like the pull out table.  Is it accurate temp wise

What can you tell me about this to me seems caddy  :)

• Like 1

It is definitely the Cadillac. After having one for a year I wouldn't go any other direction although the Geo Knight would be fine too. The main reasons I would not go any other way include:

The quick change platen system is unbelievable and I use it more than I ever thought I would. 16"x 20" is massive after having used a 15"x 15" and lots of things won't fit over it threaded which puts you back to using a press pillow which is slow and harder to get your design placed perfect.

The pull out drawer style option I don't use because I have room to swing and the drawer causes too much movement into your work space (you'll see what I mean after you use it that way) BUT having the ability to slide it out to change platens easier is fantastic so still a plus mark.

The full thread-able platen is probably the most compelling part of the whole thing. It really does make things easy and I almost never have to use a press pillow anymore since I'm working on just one side of the garment. You do have to get used to working with the shirts upside down but that only took a couple days and is natural now. (I think screen printers work upside down too). The other thing I would say regarding the thread-able platen is having the shirt upside down keeps you primarily working on the part of the platen that is closest to you most of the time. And as mentioned earlier the 16"x 20" is huge and a long way to bend over and see things like multi layer registration if you were trying to have the shirt turned facing you. (I know the Geo Knight boasts threading from the top but this would make my back hurt)

The temperature is adjustable if it happens to be off. 

On the negative side I would say I think the high tech control panel may some day go out. Maybe not but it's super fancy and the Geo Knight looks like it's probably never going to break ever. 

Also in the negative column is the timer/counter within the presets. The machine can remember who knows how many different application presets which allow for up to 4 different timers within any one cycle which is really cool however the counter counts each beeper as one press so on a three press cycle it count three shirts when you really did one. This disappoints me because I do a lot of two color jobs and have to always do the math in my head to keep track of where I am. I like to press 10 or 12 shirts and then move the stack so they are ready to fold and send rather than counting through as I fold and I also use the count as a final confirmation that my order is correct and it just seems that such a high end feature would be capable of getting the count right with the preset. (Not a big deal I know but it does irritate me a little). 

• Like 1

I have an older 16x20  Swing-Away Hotronix.

The Fusion would be my choice for a new one.

The Swing-Away plus the pull out table would be 

really handy.

Warranty Information:  
  • Heating Element – Lifetime
  • Framework – 5 years
  • Circuit Board – 2 years
  • Parts & Labor – 1 year
  • Warranty begins from the time of purchase to original owner
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention having an accurate pressure reading is wonderful too. I was always worried I was not getting the right pressure on my old cheap-o press. 

• Like 1

Offer this guy $300 and get it for maybe $350 - would be worth a drive on an older Hotronix  - I have had several and still use one like it today - 

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/5256290138.html

Yup...that's just like mine!

A work horse...accurate temps...HEAVY!

I have an industrial wheeled cart I keep it on.

The pressure setting is just a dial with no read-out..

so that is a drawback but not a big one.

Sue2

I have the old hotronix and the second button down on the right side of the control panel will show the actual pressure when clamping it down.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I'll have to check and see if mine does that.

Thanks!

Sue2

so the hotronix fusion.... has cap attachments.... anyone have these?  Do they work?  I am confused by the curve of the attachment and to flat heating area.... how doe these actually work?

so the hotronix fusion.... has cap attachments.... anyone have these?  Do they work?  I am confused by the curve of the attachment and to flat heating area.... how doe these actually work?

It does? That's news to me. I wouldn't expect the fusion to do good with hats. There isn't enough throw to the press height to clear a hat platen. Same issue I have seen with the other swing away hat attachments on the multi presses that USCutter puts out. I'll have to go look it up. They have shoe attachments and some other mildly weird ideas but I didn't think they had anything for hats. If you are needing to wanting to do some hats buy a dedicated hat press with interchangeable platen sizes like Stahl's sells. You'll be glad you did. 

Here is a video showing the cap platen for the fussion.

That's only going to do the underside of the bill. I guess I have seen that platen before. You are going to need a curved cap platen to do the front of the cap and there won't be a way to do that on the Fusion. This looks sort of handy for the right need but you would think they would have done a better job on the graphics. Both of those are missing the mark for matching the curve IMO. 

The cap press they show later in the video is pretty nice. I have a really old version built by stahls and I use the smaller low profile platen on almost everything I do. 

SORRY!!  I misspoke.  I was shopping for prices for the fusion, it said "click here for attachments".  I clicked the link and up came all of Hotronix's attachments.  On the pic of the one of the hat attachments it list's the press compatable with (I missed this info) and the fusion was NOT on the list.

I am sorry for any confusion or "hopes" this may have caused anyone.