Sign in to follow this  
restless-rooster

Chrome vinyl

Hey everyone

I am looking for chrome vinyl. All of the chrome vinyl I have seen says it stretches. I have someone who needs a few 22"×48" chrome decals and I am nervous about the fact that it states that the vinyl is stretchy. The vinyl is 3M. Has anyone used expandable/stretchy vinyl? Is it different to cut?

Thank

I prefer using "stretchy" wrap vinyl for everything. It's a bit thicker than regular vinyl so your knife pressure needs to be greater but besides that the only real difference is the backing paper and the "air release" grid if it has it. 

Now with that I have never used conform chrome just this mirror chrome...not stretchy. Actually kind of brittle and scratches easily.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/p/avery-chrome-mirror---15-inch-x-10-yds

• Like 1

I can tell you the fdc coburn does not stretch - love the look but it would never do a curve

I've only used Schein Chrome Polish that I purchased from Sign Warehouse before I was smart enough to know better (i.e., before I found US Cutter).  It's a metallized polyester film rather than vinyl - it's stiffer and does not stretch.  It cuts, weeds and dry installs like vinyl.  I haven't tried a wet install, because I don't think it breathes as much as vinyl does, and I'm afraid the moisture will never get out.

I have only applied it to smooth or gently curved surfaces - I've never tried to wrap anything (doubt it would work) or gone over rivets or other surface features.  I bought it when it was on sale and it sat on my rack for a couple of years before I did much with it.  I just cut some yesterday and it's nearly 3 year's old and it still cut, weeded and installed perfectly this morning.

My experience with metallized polyester film has only been Oracal's 351.

As stated, it does not stretch at all and scratches easily.

Have made a few emblems for vehicles with it as a component but always

have some regular vinyl underneath as It's is a bear to remove if put directly on a substrate.

Have heard that it turns white after just a few years but have not seen this first-hand.

Other than all that, it cuts easily and have had no trouble dry installing it.

I've only used Schein Chrome Polish that I purchased from Sign Warehouse before I was smart enough to know better (i.e., before I found US Cutter).  It's a metallized polyester film rather than vinyl - it's stiffer and does not stretch.  It cuts, weeds and dry installs like vinyl.  I haven't tried a wet install, because I don't think it breathes as much as vinyl does, and I'm afraid the moisture will never get out.

I have only applied it to smooth or gently curved surfaces - I've never tried to wrap anything (doubt it would work) or gone over rivets or other surface features.  I bought it when it was on sale and it sat on my rack for a couple of years before I did much with it.  I just cut some yesterday and it's nearly 3 year's old and it still cut, weeded and installed perfectly this morning.

This is the exact same stuff, just a different name. I've made a couple thousand rear window decals for a car dealership with it and it works and looks great.

http://www.uscutter.com/Creative-Films-PRIME-SERIES-24-by-10yd-Metallic-Film-003-Polychrome-Silver

I've used the Oracal 351 and didn't care for it much.