New to vinyl cutters, need some advice on my first purchase.

What I need:

- at least a 24 inch cutting surface

- will allow me to print my own designs. (no problem learning new software)

- one time cost, not monthly fees

- has fonts or ability to load fonts into the software

- ability to scan in pictures or upload images from photoshop as cut designs would be a huge plus, not a deal breaker though.

- durable

- under $500 - pretty firm on that

- print and cut would be ideal, but not realistic for under 500 from what I have seen online. 

It is a huge hassle to cut out font printouts by hand or to paint lettering neatly and I really like the idea of making my own "stencils" out of the vinyl so I can paint on really complex designs with ease. 

I quickly learned the Cricut was a piece of S***. Pre-set designs you have to buy separately and then plug in? no thank you. Then I saw the brother ScanNcut and got the same vibe.

Right now i'm leaning toward the UScutter.com's MH series 28 cutter for around $300, but i figured you gentlemen (and ladies) would probably know which brands are the best and which to stay away from. It's not a HUGE business, but I have sunk some money into it and I find a craft show now and then, make some decent side money. I graduate this month and really want to put some real time into this while im applying for jobs. A vinyl printer would really step up my game. Any advice on what cutter would be the best for basic, easy to use, get the job done with no extra bells and whistles ill never use? 

What im leaning toward buying now. Anyone have a personal experience with this unit?

http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Series-Vinyl-Cutter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-Software?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhPaqBRDG2uiHzpKLi6ABEiQAk_XXiVS-FNfVKzG3UyWmfwGWdN-VC-COB3MSDNO9Jl_eGGMaAkMr8P8HAQ

Oh, any chance I could get a used one? is there a market for that? would you trust it?

Print and cut under 5 grand is probably unrealistic. And please go above a mh and a,quick search on here will explain why.

I say "Lean higher than MH, also" 

So, if I am reading right from your photos,you want to be sued fast and lose everything?  Your showing a good way to do it. Your products would be a copyright/trademark lawyers dream,,,,There are rules and laws in this business and Copyright/trademark Infringement is a very big one.. Those boards that you are showing and probably selling are in violation of copyright/trademark laws. .Any sports team has copyrighted names and logos...You would have to get permission from everyone of those Colleges, NFL or any sports team to reproduce their name and logos. Pretty much if you see anything already done out there...It is copyrighted/trademarked....If you are going to do ANYTHING in the way of the boards, you would have to either purchase licensed designs, get permission from the owners,  or create original designs that have NOTHING to do with logos and trademarks. Unless you want to spend thousands and thousands of $$$$ in lawyers fees (  the owners of that property can just keep you in court for a very long time, they keep copyright lawyers on their  payroll. ) Now can you afford that?  I would suggest finding a different  legal project. You might also be surprised how many police and Home Land Security agents troll Facebook,and other social media,   Forums and Flea markets for illegal items like you have posted..They are paid to search.    Many sites online explain copyright, trademark infringement.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/can-i-use-nfl-logos-without-permission

This thread never dies

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/17644-warning-to-everyone/?hl=dewalt

• Like 1

yea sorry about the original post, it submitted before I finished. 

any reason the MH wouldnt get the job done? are we talking shaky cuts and bad quality ? or just lack of features because I dont need the extra pressure settings or speed controls. I wont be using any super high end vinyl either just the standard issue stuff.  (ill look around on the forum about it too)

the other models that jump up 100, 200 bucks have " colored LCD " displays and stuff like that, i dont care what color my control buttons are?

lazer point 2

• Laser Registration feature - allows contour cutting around graphics.
  • Clearer & bright Blue & Yellow backlight LCD is
  • USB 2.0 interface
  • New design, allows adjustment of cutting force and speed while working
  • High-precision "steel barbed" axis for higher accuracy cutting
  • Inertial rotating blade holder enables more accurate and high quality cutting
  • Digital force & speed adjustable, direct and steady
  • Has the ability to manually contour cut
  • Auto memory of blade force and speed adjustable at any time, easy to use
  • Emergency stop/start feature allows you to pause cutting and restart if you are forced to take a break

I complete understand its probably a better unit, but I dont want to pay for things I bolded, if the MH will 'do the job' id rather save the 200

but if you guys think its worth doubling the price, thats gotta be a quality issue right? 

I guess you missed this part....Just possession of inventory is enough..  Yep, that word of mouth can really get you also!!!

Tip#8: Private Non-Commercial Person Single Use is Legal

One of the facts necessary to establish trademark infringement under the Trademark Act is use "in commerce" or "intent to use in commerce". That does not require selling, distribution is enough, or even possession of an inventory for sale but not yet sold. In fact, the law provides for unannounced raids to seize counterfeits, these being called "ex parte seizures", pursuant to court order - much like the process of getting a search warrant to seize drugs or counterfeit money. See 15 USC 1114.

ok you made your point. 100% custom designs, except for maybe the redskins haha pending some more research on their copyrights. Thank you for the information, can you help me out with a which cutter I should get?

Buy the best that you can afford and stay away from the MH cutter....period.   The last 3 years, too many problems,, It has very limited memory,,  Not true USB..cheap Chinese chipset,.so better run on a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter,  that is the brand name.  Or a serial cable.  Stepper motors are not as accurate.  Cuts are not as sharp as a servo motor.  Cannot use on a Mac.   Read the MH cutter threads .for buyer statements.   Value cutters pretty much have to be tweeked in all the time.. Tracking of vinyl is not all that great.

would the SC be a good enough upgrade or would that give me the same low quality? one user seemed to like the lazer 2 but just seems like 200 bucks for a color LCD screen and some adjustable settings I most likely wont use for my personal needs

Many people on here use the SC,(which I have heard is loud as heck)  and many use the Laserpointer 11, and stand by them.   Each step up is better quality and less headaches...  Up to servo motors like the Graphtec, which  are pretty much set it and forget it..  No problems at all. 

The MH also is prone to static problems from the vinyl..  Vinyl creates a lot of static....  I have also read that the SC is limited on Memory. 

All of the value cutters do not have true USB..

You asked for the advice it's your choice whether to use it. But don't get mad when you hear I told you so

• Like 1

im not mad, telling me not to buy it is helpful and i thank you for posting. but telling me my i shouldnt buy it would just be more insightful and thus more helpful. for instance one guy said the SC is really loud. me? ill save 200 bucks and take the super loud unit if it will still cut the same. im just trying to ask if its a quality issue or a convience of having extra memory or adjustable settings? 

Until you have used a vinyl cutter, you will not know..  It pretty much takes a hands on approach to realize all the different quirks of the value cutters over each other.....  And servo motors over stepper are night and day difference in quality, accuracy.tracking. and ease of use.

I did see that. which is why I posted on here because from what I researched, I dont think i will need the extra pressure the lazer 2 can apply and its only a slight jump in speed between the MH and SC so for me the money says get the MH BUT I hesitate to ever buy the cheapest model cuz they always mess up or break.

I finally figured out how to word my question, is the MH a reliable cutter ?

if i dont need the extra pressure and speed, would it work? or do you think the 'static' issue u mention or will it just flat out not work right and not be worth my while? 

What im hoping you'll say is if you just need the basics get the HM and itll do the job.... but it doesnt sound like its a very well built, reliable machine? so ill probably stay away from it. are there some non- UScutter products anyone could mention thats as good as the lazer 2 but closer to the 300 range?

I started with a Seiki, 34" cutter back in 2006  Made by Seiki Tech.    It was a good reliable machine and made me a lot of money before I upgraded to the Graphtec..   It is unfortunate that UScutter does not carry the Creation Pcut or the Copam any more.  They were good reliable cutters..  Maybe they could not get them anymore here in the states...  Seiki cutters are still being sold on   Maybe you can find some good deals on used Pcuts on Ebay or Craigslist. 

http://www.seikitech.com/

• Like 1

yea I dont think any servo motor cutters are in my price range haha, any chance there is a second hand market for these things? would you even consider a used cutter? are they pretty easy to damage or "set off track" or are they pretty durable. like oh just buy a fresh blade and you should be good?

do you have any experience with the Brother ScanNcut or the Cricut or just the smaller cutters? I really dont wanna go that route but i dont want to buy at the low end of the manufacturers market either 

From your listed budget servos aren't in there. I think titan 2 is the cheapest servo cutter right now. In your budget I'd recommend the sc or laser point 2. For comparison owned 2 Yugos growing up and the we're Cadillacs compared to the current mh cutter.

oh hey, i just saw a refurbished unit on uscutter, would you trust a refurbished unit or dont bother?  

Refurbs, have been gone thru by tech support and still have a warranty.  It may only be just returned,, some new people have no clue what they are doing and it may have not even been a cutter problem at all. that it was returned...Some people have no patience, and blame the cutter.

Big market on used servo cutters,  They hold their value... 

Have you searched your area? Craiglist etc.