Pcrat

lay vinyl stencil on paint,

I have a car hood, i am going to paint. I have some text etc im gonna do on it, primer, then 3 layers of base coat,

but i cant clear coat, i want to cut some vinyl lettering stencils, lay them on the hood, paint, then peel the vinyl, but how long should i wait on the paint, before laying the temp vinyl down, to paint, im going to peel it back up, is there maybe a low tac vinyl i can cut for stencils? since im laying it on the actual paint, and not the clear coat...

Thanks

Edit: this is automotive paint of course, for those who think im gonna use latex, umm no.

I use Oramask 810S or 813 stencil vinyl.

I like the 813 better, but that is just me.

Depends on the vinyl, thickness of paint and are you air drying or force drying?

What paint? Acrylic enamel, Urethane or laquer?
Is it a single stage paint or base coat/clear coat paint?

Assuming you are air drying and you are using acrylic enamel, depending on what reducer you are using (fast/medium/slow) you are probably looking at 4-8 hours to be safe to use low tack mask vinyl.

I usually paint and then let cure overnight if air curing.
Force drying, I can start in an hour.

If you are using flakes or pearls, add a little more time to it.

You don't want any tacky feel to the paint. If you apply vinyl to paint that still feels tacky, you will make a mess when pulling the mask vinyl.

Yes , air dry, warm days, acrylic enamel, medium. 2 weeks is a while to wait to lay vinyl to lay 3 coats of base. I just don't want it to pull up the base coat at all. but also don't want to use any expensive vinyl just for stencils. No flakes or nothing special, just standard colors.  gonna be for my "man cave". 

I've used paint mask on tractor enamel after 3or4 hours

I'm not a painter but my guy at work does stuff for repairs on all sorts of things including vehicles and he is frequently masking off other areas the next day. he's using a paint gun and good quality auto paint with the hardener and stuff (above my knowledge base) but we did some two stage work this winter like that in after just an overnight wait. I think if you were wanting to leave the vinyl on there then letting the paint outgas is a different concern that for paint masking. 

no outgassing, lay vinyl stencil, paint 3 coats, and peel, just wondering if like the main hood color, say black hood of 3 coats, then lay vinyl lettering, paint, white 3 coats, will it blend, with the black or no? ive never done it this way, most people havent.  then peel the vinyl, then clear coat the entire hood. but yea just no blending, or paint lifting with the vinyl, is what im wondering... and time frame.

you're most likely end up with a ridge which will require color sanding or a few extra layers of clear and wet sanding. Just an observation from somewhat similar experiences.

• Like 1

i was thinking about that but wasnt sure....i just dont want to use vinyl after clear coat, but maybe thats the best way still... 

Just depends on how much you want to put into it

You can paint 3 coats of black, lay the stencil, then 3 coats of white. You just need to let the black dry first. How long it takes to dry depends on a lot of factors. Like jaybird said, there will be a hard edge that you'll need to clearcoat and sand to get rid of.

I made the text and snake stencils for this one and, due to time constraints, put them on just as the bake cycle finished. It was the painter's car so he accepted the risk and he was a pro.

post-29371-0-65054700-1432174112_thumb.j

To end up with no ridges, you need to go with a clear coat.

Primer, paint, stencil. 

Light wet sand.

At least 4 coats of clear coat. More is better.

Wet sand til you no longer feel any ridges. 

I use 400 grit, then go to 600 grit, then buff it to a high gloss. 
Use a good 3M polishing compound.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/48424-bike-paint/

Ok.. I will try that.. i got the hood for free so.

Please dont use 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to cut your clearcoat.  That is too heavy.  

When cutting your clear start with 1500 grit and gradually move to 3000 .. make sure all of the abrasion marks from the 1500 are smoothed with the 3000 before you start to polish or your gonna be there all day and still have scratches...