Sign in to follow this  
levy4u

Pointed Text comes off while weeding, every time.

3 Month old Graphtec CE6000-60, 90% of jobs cut and weed perfectly, but then there are a few that have troublespots, and it's usually with anything smaller than .75". I've attached the design (cutting at 7 inches wide) if anyone wants to give it a try. My problem areas are the first 2 letters in the website and the left side "leg" of the logo dude. Normally I can weed from any position at any speed and it rips out perfect. With this, and other small items, it's becoming a pain no matter how fast or slow I weed.

Arlon 5000 white vinyl

Clean cut 45 blade, blue blade holder (blade is 2 weeks old)

Offset 0

Speed 30

Accel 2

Force 7

I would have blamed the problems on the vinyl but all other aspects of the designs weed right out. It seems that these pointy bits stay attached no matter what I do... overcut, faster(50) slower(5), more force(B) less force(6), less blade depth etc etc.

Corners of letters are cutting fine, it's just these spots..

Check out this video to see what I mean. ------------- https://youtu.be/hgyCmQby27A 

LKNathleticClub2_zpsb9rzqohr.jpg

LKNathleticClub2.ai

You are pulling fast. You need to slow down where the vinyl gets thin as the adhesive cant hold it as good as larger parts. Slow down and use your other hand to try and hold down the parts that come up as you pull. I have to do this often as many times the decals I cut are detailed and thin lines. Just pulling will normally pull the whole decal with it.

I have found that some vinyl just weeds better than others like you now know. I have a roll of 3M series 50 film that I bought locally and it weeds HORRIBLE! I hate the stuff. I have been trying to use it up and it works okay on large stuff but sucks the big one on small stuff. Oracal 651 cleans house on it by comparison. Now the 3M/Gerber 225 series on the clear liner weeds fantastic and about equal to 751 or 951 Oracal/Orafol. The 3M/Gerber 220 series on paper doesn't weed as good as the Oracal options.

It probably changes in different parts of the country with different humidity and ambient temperatures too. I see people hating the Green Star cheap stuff but I have no problems with weeding it at all. 

Does the time from cut to weed matter? I changed the settings on the cut until I had a row of 3 cutting to my liking. Went ahead and cut out 100, about 33 rows, and had it pause every 4 rows so I could it off and not have a long piece to work with. Now, 4 hours later I start weeding and it's worse than before I messed with the settings. Different letters are pulling up no matter what I do and it's different from cut to cut. One design weeds fine, then the next would pull ALL the design up... I don't think i'll be able to salvage anything.

Does the time from cut to weed matter? I changed the settings on the cut until I had a row of 3 cutting to my liking. Went ahead and cut out 100, about 33 rows, and had it pause every 4 rows so I could it off and not have a long piece to work with. Now, 4 hours later I start weeding and it's worse than before I messed with the settings. Different letters are pulling up no matter what I do and it's different from cut to cut. One design weeds fine, then the next would pull ALL the design up... I don't think i'll be able to salvage anything.

Yep. The adhesive will ooze back together and cause some lifting if you wait too long too weed.

I think someone earlier made a comment about using your off hand to help out. I use a pointed tweezers in my off hand and use it to help keep pieces from lifting. I find it does great if I just sort of poke it in on the text where I think there will be a potential problem and it is lets me settle down any parts that try to lift. It takes a little practice but soon becomes second nature. 

Yes,  vinyl will self heal it's self.  With me,  weeding has always been a 2 handed job... I use the end of a pencil eraser to hold down pieces of the design, so that nothing pokes the vinyl.   Also weed lines thru the text helps.  I noticed on your videos, you did not have weed lines thru the text. 

I have the weed lines per section (horizontally) but not per letter. That would be insane to me. My cutter is 2 feet from my computer desk so i've been cutting 2 rows at a time, then weeding right away while the next 2 cut. No problems at all.

I also find temp and humidity can make a difference on some of my smaller pieced designs - I have a couple in particular when the temp in the basement is just right they weed great - I usually do a few extra on those nights  - on nights I just need them done I do like skeeter and use a burnisher to help hold the few problem pieces 

post-2742-0-85268100-1432085023_thumb.jp