Wildgoose

Layering with Parchment Paper

I have been asked by several forum members to make a video showing how to use parchment paper to layer vinyl. Hope this will clear up questions of what I have been talking about. 

In the video I use clear app tape. This works great with paper taper too although not quite as easy to see through. I use this a lot for second layer effects that I want perfect. 

Link:

• Like 25

Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE your daughter in the background ;D !!!!! lol....

ok...NOW you get the "MEDAL" ;) !!!!!!!!!

FH

p.s. I wanted to make some videos on kayak fishing stuff, but my voice is so junk...people have a hard time understanding me :(

• Like 1

That is great! Thanks for sharing! I will use this on an upcoming car i am doing

• Like 1

Awesome info.....THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO MAKE AND POST.  Very useful information that will make jobs MUCH easier. Thanks again !!

• Like 1

Paul

This solved so many problems for me...Every time I would try to line up registration marks they end up sticking to each other or pulling off.....AWESOME

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

BTW, can you send me that flower cut file...The Wife saw it and...well you know...LOL

• Like 1

thanks Wildgoose. Love the flower. I use parchment paper alot also especially when doing graphics on Old window to hang in the house. Works wonders. 

• Like 1

Amazing!

I always have trouble trying to do multilayered decals when the backing is curled.

Thank you for the video

I pack this stuff around with me on most installs too. I just throw up the first layer of the job then pull off the carrier from the second and throw some parchment to protect it and then lay it on top and slide it around until I like where it sits and then I usually go ahead with a tape hinge like I would normally do on an install and at that point it's just a lift with the hinge and pull out the parchment and it's perfectly aligned. 

• Like 1

Very cool, and thank you for sharing. I do have one question, the registration marks.  Do you create those in the cutting program, or in a separate art program (like PS or in my case GIMP).

I like to make my own so I control where they are a little better. You need to get away from gimp and start using inkscape. Gimp and PS are designed to work with raster images.

I do have Incscape installed, just haven't had much time to learn how to use it well.  I started with Gimp a few years ago, that's why I'm still using it.  I actually thought about subscribing to Creative Studio, just haven't took the plunge.  Is Inkscape more user friendly for decal work?

I do have Incscape installed, just haven't had much time to learn how to use it well.  I started with Gimp a few years ago, that's why I'm still using it.  I actually thought about subscribing to Creative Studio, just haven't took the plunge.  Is Inkscape more user friendly for decal work?

Well, Basically you will get a lot farther in the vinyl side using a vector based program. Otherwise everything you do then has to be brought into a vector program and traced. Granted a good clean design can auto trace out fine but complicated ones usually don't. Scarecrow on the forum uses a different and very successful method similar to what you are talking although I don't think it's exclusively that way of drawing up something in PS then tracing it in AI or Inkscape and can out produce most people I have met. That being said he's got some amazing PS skills that he capitalizes on. I have never had good luck going that direction or at least not consistent results I was happy with. 

There are several good vector based programs that you basically would choose from and move forward. Inkscape just happens to be a solid open source (totally free) program an the free part os why I suggested it. I use Adobe Illustrator and love it and many use Corel Draw and have good success. There are several other combination vector programs that design and cut from one like the often included Sure Cuts A Lot Pro (which I don't care for) and Vinyl Master which has a growing following and also the top of the line Flexi. Several of these can get pricey so your budget may dictate what direction you go. 

Vector art is layer based and in normal operations best suited to solid colors just like vinyl AND the end product is usually in a format that some cutting program or other can send to the cutter with the technical information that the cutter needs to cut the project. So after all the preamble yes I think you will be best suited to switch over and get started learning some vector program or other. If you are using something that is not in the mainstream (meaning AI, Corel, Inscape or Flexi) then you will want to do your research and make sure that the program accepts all the standard vector based file formats and also exports them so that you aren't hindered at some future time. One program that comes to mind this way is Graphtec Studio. Graphtec owners can use this program (I think for free) but users find that it won't import some file formats that are common and also won't export the same files to share with others or cut in other programs. Some cheaper or entry level versions of programs are also limited in what they offer. I have read several who have boughten into one of the design and cut programs like Vinyl Master only to find that they should have paid for the next level or higher to get the functions they were expecting so some homework is in order. The problem with being new is that you may not even know your going to miss out until you have made the leap. Just be careful and try to do your homework. You will learn a lot by the research. Inscape is free so no risk but it is a little clunky and some things are much easier in other more robust programs. 

Good luck and there will be plenty willing to give you pointers here and there as long as you do enough research to ask the good question. 

• Like 2

So I finally got figured out how to use the shapes is SCALP3 as registration marks.  It's a bit tough at first, but if I can teach myself how to use Gimp, I should get this figured out too.  Anyways, I successfully was able to apply a 2 layer vinyl using this method.  Shout Out to Wildgoose on this video, works great man!  Thank you again for sharing!

• Like 1

Just a slight update. I have found that if you happen to buy any vinyl with the clear synthetic carrier you can re-use it for even better results than the parchment paper. I recently bought some of the Oracal 8510 Etched glass film from USCutter and also occasionally buy a local brand that come with the clear carrier. If you have extreme precision and want to see every detail this stuff is the way to go so HOLD ONTO THOSE as you get the opportunity. Combined with clear app tape you can literally see right through the whole design. 

Good info Goose.  I recently completed some large mirrors and used the parchment paper to great success!

I appreciate the tip and video very much!!!

Cal

PS - I tried to post a pic, but could not get it small enough to post...

I know this is an older post but its so informative and helpful. so i had to comment on it ....I had to watch it a few times lol..Awesome job buddy. Be cool to see some more videos like this from the other Top Gurus on here lol..

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I just came across this and it's amazing! I have a little project I'm taking on and was worried I'd have to buy clear xfer tape...not needed with this! Thank you!!!!

20191109_140203.jpg

• Like 2