Sign in to follow this  
Macon Innovations

LPII & Reflective Vinyl

I am awaiting arrival of my 31.5 LPII cutter.......This will be my first machine and I hope I can learn a great deal on it.......I was telling a friend of mine about it and his boss is needing some lettering done in reflective vinyl......Does anyone know if this machine will indeed cut it? It doesn't look very promising from the US Cutter web site specs but I would like to have real world knowledge on the subject....

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike

I've cut oracal and 3m reflective on mine but it depends on the grade of reflective.

should cut it fine, the reflective will eat blades like crazy but it should cut it with no problems -for blades I suggest the cleancut blades - made of a fine grained carbide that last a lot longer then cheaper roland blades.  just make sure to start with too little blade and back the force off about 40 percent before you put the cleancut in or you might cut straight thru your material, deep into the cutting strip and break a tip.  they are the cutco of cutter blades (if you are familiar with cutco kitchen knives - I bought a couple in case I ever want to cut a sunroof in a car Lol_

• Like 1

Well according to the specs of the LP2 it cannot cut low-intensity or high intensity reflective, but you should be able to cut the much thinner Oracal 5300, 5500 and 5700.

You will most likely need to use a 60 degree blade.

Would you guys mind giving me a couple suggestions....It is going on a VERY large wrecker....I'm only charging the guy to cover the material because I want to practice and his other trucks will not be for free...lol

buy a graphtec and 3m engineering grade reflective material - do it once and be done with it.  the material may give him sticker shock but when you get into specs for dot etc do your homework and do it right

Well I definitely will not be buying a Graphtec in the near future....If this works out the way I hope it does I will be upgrading to a better machine but this LPII will have to work for a little while....

Mine was the last step before the Graphtec's and I actually dusted off the LP2 last week and loaned it to a shirt shop when their cutter crapped out so it's still going strong.

• Like 1