Sign in to follow this  
halpain17

pricing this? and doing this?

So, I was asked for a quote today to fix a pre-existing light-box sign, for a new restaurant in our area..

First (top to pictures in attachment)

They want me to replace the decals on the "shopping center roadside sign" for them on both sides (obviously just the one for their business)

It is made up of one large substrate with taped off sections for each business. So, it seems I will just remove the existing ~4'x~1.5~ decal on each side and replace it with thier logo in vinyl. I do not print.

Next (bottom pics in attachment)

They want the top lightbox repaired and stuck with their logo. It is the "house shaped box"

It's probably about 8' wide just to give an estimate.

They said the lights do not work but their electrician said there is power out to the ballast.

So my electrician said he would replace he ballast, at cost plus 2 hours labor @ ~$70/hour

Also the plastic face is gone.

Here's what I do not know:

How much should I charge? I haven't done a job like this so I don't wanna price it wrong.

Using the "shop rate" plan from another thread I came up with:

Materials not including the plastic because I don't know where to get it 165.22 + 3.5 hours labor ($75/hour) = 427.72 + tax (Plus the [plastic for the large light box)

In addition to this they would be paying the electricians fees for the light repair.

Any thoughts?

What is the plastic?

I'm guessing Lexan Polycarbonate which could be pretty expensive but I don't even know where to get it or how it mounts/sits/stays in the sign box?

Thanks in advance guys!

11024214_724330655003_556353948161176722

the sign faces are usually 1/8" - 1/4" acrylic.

you can get the acrylic sheets from Harbor Sales, and they'll even cut it for you

and you're going to have to figure in some sort of bucket truck. I assume that light box is about 20'-25' feet in he air? try lifting a sheet of 1/8" acrylic and then see if you want to be man-handling that 20 feet in the air on a ladder.

bucket trucks can range in prices per hour or by the day. I don't know where you are located, but the few places by me will only rent it to you for a whole day. and that runs about $250-$300 for the day.

your price is right for your shop if you accounted for all expenses and marked up accordingly.

As far as how the payment is being taken care of, I would not have the customer pay the electrician separate. You are the contractor for the whole job. you get any outside resources you need, and you pay them yourself, then add a fee onto the end invoice and mark up each service. I contract an electrician, or a mason, I pay them, and add 10% onto the invoice that the customer pays. That's just how I do business.

• Like 1

Ive done electrical work for 10 years, and fixing the lights is probably easier than getting that acrylic in place. You could make some extra good money doing that work yourself. If you called me to do it, I'd charge 200 minimum for labor if I could finish within 2 hours. If the florescent fixture has power running to with a new bulb installed,but isn't working, then the ballast 99% of the time is no good. Turn off the power, take the bulb out, take off the metal cover under the bulb, cut the wires to the ballast close to the ballast. Install new ballast, and connect all wires color to color with orange wire nuts. Test new bulb. If it the bulb doesnt come on, the wires may have come out of the socket on the end, just take the aocket out and push the wire back in. If you want to do it check youtube for a video how to change fluorescent ballast, I'm sure they got it on there.

You just got some great advice right there from both. 

A lift is a really good idea. Don't get hurt trying to be cheap. 

There should be a local supply shop somewhere in your area that will have the acrylic and like mentioned may even cut it, you will want to go white on that probably. You will also want to go with translucent vinyl for night lighting.