Sign in to follow this  
DCMoney

Pricing Help

I have 2 business asking me to make some decals for them.

One is a really easy weed (15 seconds) 2.5"x6" single color, cut decal, wants 25 of them for now.

The other is a little more tedious to weed (1 minute), 2"x7" single color, cut decal. wants 250 of them.

Problem for me is both are friends of mine. The one that wants 250 of them always take care of me when I come to him needing parts (motorcycle race parts).

I know my cost of material and have an estimate of how much time its going to take me but I have no idea what people usually pay for quantities like that.

Thanks for any input!

I have 2 business asking me to make some decals for them.

One is a really easy weed (15 seconds) 2.5"x6" single color, cut decal, wants 25 of them for now.

The other is a little more tedious to weed (1 minute), 2"x7" single color, cut decal. wants 250 of them.

Problem for me is both are friends of mine. The one that wants 250 of them always take care of me when I come to him needing parts (motorcycle race parts).

I know my cost of material and have an estimate of how much time its going to take me but I have no idea what people usually pay for quantities like that.

Thanks for any input!

does the amount of work (hours you work) change in larger qty?   same price no matter qty - now maybe charge more for one offs or low qty but figure your material and hourly wage  - done

does the amount of work (hours you work) change in larger qty?   same price no matter qty - now maybe charge more for one offs or low qty but figure your material and hourly wage  - done

What would you change for the 2 decals in the above quantities?

Does he take care of you by giving you FREE parts or parts at cost.  

If he's just giving you parts at cost he doesn't earn a friend's discount because it doesn't cost him anything to do this.  He doesn't make any money but it also doesn't cost him any money OR TIME!

You're about to spend hours cutting, weeding and taping. Your time is worth alot more then him buying a part and selling it to you for the same price. 

That's just my opinion. 

Work you time up and charge that. 

Based on what little you've provided. 

250 decals

Weedtime = 4 hours and 10 min.  (Based on 1/min)

Add in cutting time and materials = 15-30 min

Tape time = 30-45

What to charge = ((Design time+Cut time+Weed time+Tape time) * Hourly rate) + Material + Profit

Did I miss anything?

Keep business seperate from Friendships.  Things tend to go sour when you mix the 2.  

• Like 3

I just want to know what others (people in the industry) would charge, this is a hobby for me.

I don't put any value in my time because when I don't want to cut vinyl I don't, Its just what I enjoy doing right now.

.. I know my cost of material and have an estimate of how much time its going to take ...

in this case, you would need to decide how good of a friend this person is. You have the rest of the information you need. 

If It were a new customer walking through my door, on my 30" cutter cutting out of 30" rolls, $700, out the door.

I don't put any value in my time because when I don't want to cut vinyl I don't, Its just what I enjoy doing right now.

Then just charge him for the roll of material. The value of the product is your time and knowledge of how to make the end product.

in this case, you would need to decide how good of a friend this person is. You have the rest of the information you need. 

If It were a new customer walking through my door, on my 30" cutter cutting out of 30" rolls, $700, out the door.

Then just charge him for the roll of material. The value of the product is your time and knowledge of how to make the end product.

What would you change for the 2 decals in the above quantities?

I read this as one sale, not two.

$2.55 each decal. the decals are close enough in size to charge the same price ( the more expensive of the two once you figure out cost )

you said you know your costs, and they are your friends, you have to decide what you want to give away and what you want to charge for.

that is just what someone coming through my door would get charged. what size material you cut on will change your costs.

• Like 1

like I said, I would charge $700 for the whole sale, thats $2.55 each. the decals are close enough in size to charge the same price ( the more expensive of the two once you figure out cost )

you said you know your costs, and hes your friend, you have to decide what you want to give away and what you want to charge for.

Thanks, misread your statement about $700, thought you were charging $700 for a roll of 30" vinyl...

$2.55 is roughly what my calculator was telling me to sell it for. Its hard for me to price stuff because I don't pay for service, there's very little I cant fix or do and if I cant do it I know someone that can.

Thanks again!

You could always use the L + W / 2=price 

So on the first one

2.5" + 6" = 8.5"  so    8.5" / 2 = $4.25 x 25 = $106.25

Second one

2" + 7" = 9"      so      9" / 2 = $4.50 x 250 = $1125.00

• Like 1