Country Junkee

Heat transfer placement

I have really enjoyed doing these tees but my main problem is the placement of the heat transfers...I ordered some stock transfers but putting them on the shirts and making sure they are placed right is just so aggravating.....am I supposed to measure out each one before I apply it??  And also I did some shirts for a church with full transfer on back and then small church name on the "pocket area" but shirts of course didn't have pockets...some of them were too far under armpit, too high, or too low...is there a sheet with standard measurements on where to place these??  Please help I am learning all of this on my own!! 

There are a couple standard placement sheets floating around and someone will probably be along to throw up a link. I am not at my workspace to do so. I wouldn't trust too heavily on whatever you run across because they are not always gospel. Especially with the Crest Print (pocket area) IF you follow the typical guides they tend to be too far toward the armpit on the big shirts. The people who make those up forget that big people are also round people so the offset doesn't need to be a whole bunch more than normal and big people are usually also fairly used to things not fitting them quite the same as other people, I've never had any of them take offense except the time I somehow mistook a pleat fold on the back of a 5xl button up for the middle of the garment and somehow didn't notice. He did when his logo was mostly on one side of his back. Boy did I feel dumb. Blamed my kids. 

I use about three fingers down from the collar on the front for full sized graphics and depending on the size of the back (and whether it is a hoodie) somewhere around 4 fingers to a whole hand down on the back. Crest prints are typically centered equal to the seam of the collar where it meets the top of the sleeve and I like them about the same 3 finger down from where a round collar would be although many are on polos and shirts with different configurations. I have big hands so 3 and 4 fingers roughly translate into 3 and 4 inches respectively and on the crest print the edge of the design usually ends up between 2 and 2-1/2" over from the center of the shirt. 

That's probably about as clear as mud. A lot of getting used to it and eventually you figure it out. Yes it's a lot of work and can be time consuming. You will learn to appreciate a build crease being visible in a lot of tee's saving you the effort to crease the center if you can keep it carefully through the pre-heat process. I just threw over $300 at a new laser alignment system from Hotronix because I don't like spending the time with a ruler checking everything out. Up until I went high tech I got by with a sewing ruler that you can see through and has all the 1/4" lines. 

• Like 1

Thank you that is very helpful yes I am new at this so I guess in time I will get it....thanks for taking the time to respond with your helpful info....